Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Learning to Live with Radical Islam

Today I came across an excellent article in Newsweek by Fareed Zakaria called "Learning to Live With Radical Islam".

Every since my trip to the conservative Muslim world over Christmas I am constantly wrestling with how I think the US should approach these Muslim nations and the militant Islamists within them. It is true that conservative Islam is on the rise, and I believe that this is really a response to us. Islamic countries see the actions of the Christian West as being competitive and imperalist at best. Beyond that, I think many of these cultures are reacting to the social values (or lack thereof) of the West and Western media by turning to sharia law and very conservative Islamic values.

I think this article does a great job identifying the difference between groups that want to destroy the West and groups that fight for local Islamic rule, and also provides good advice for how the US should deal with these groups.

No comments: