Tuesday, April 7, 2009

10 Things I've learned to love about Dallas

1. Weather. No contest. A couple of months of the year it's painfully hot outside, but that's why God created air conditioning and tank-tops. And flip flops. And Braums ice bream. Spring in February/March is a good thing.

2. Cheap rent. I love it. We pay hundreds of dollars less here for double the size and a gorgeous pool and gated community.

3. No state income tax. I was so confused at tax time last year. What? I don't have to do state taxes? Hallelujah!

4. Blue Bell Ice Cream. Best. Ice Cream. Ever.

5. Space. They told me everything is bigger in Texas, and it's true. Apartments, churches, steak, trucks... it all comes super-sized. The down-side of that is that it takes forever to get anywhere, but it's nice to have big skies and room to breathe.

6. Southern Hospitality. People smile. They say hi. Then they try to convert you. ;) No really, most people I meet down here are super nice, and most businesses actually give you customer service. I think Chicago forgot the meaning of that little phrase. What? You're supposed to be NICE to customers??

7. Free Dallas Museum of Art Events. All summer long! Love it.

8. Shakespeare in the Park - cheap. communal. culture.

9. Republicans. Jussssst kidding. I'm sorry, I just can't appreciate Texas's conservative politics. I do appreciate SOME things about it. I appreciate it that conservatives aren't persecuted like they are in Chicago. But really, I still feel like the odd-duck around here when politics comes up. Instead I'll say - sweet tea. And cheap locally grown fruit in the spring.

10. Refugee communities. Most people still don't realize it, but there are thousands and thousands of refugees in communities around Dallas. I love it. I love close proximity to them. I need to get involved again.

Honorable Mention: White Rock Lake, cheap gas, Watermark Community Church, Richardson-area ethnic restaurants, The Buffalo Exchange, Chick-fil-A, and Texas thunderstorms.

Any to add?

8 comments:

junglewife said...

Okay, you got me with the Chick-fil-A. We were just back in the States, but on the West Coast where there IS. NO. CHICK-FIL-A. Whooo boy, I am going through withdrawal. That will be the first thing I get when I'm back - a good ol' chicken sandwich. Or chicken biscuit... yum...

Melissa said...

what happened to the refugee family that you used to visit? i just realized i hadn't heard about them in awhile.

Jaimie said...

The sky. I love the Texas sky.

Jaimie said...

I know, you said sky already, hush.

Kat said...

My mom was pregnant when she worked for Chick-Fil-A back in the day....I don't really go for it though. But Bodacious (or however you spell it) bbq...that is to die for...

Kat said...

I meant to say "she was pregnant with me" it was supposed to be a joke was it turned out weird. anyway. Have you tried Bodacious yet?

Anonymous said...

You are such a liberal - heh
-jack

Leslie said...

bluebonnets!!!