Thursday, April 16, 2009

Why I disagree with the nation-wide tea-parties

The Boston Tea Party was a symbolic protest against taxation without representation. The colonies were not represented in the English government, therefore they could not change their taxes.

People. You have representation. You elected your senator and your House representatives. We elected our President, and the President before him. So, even if you disagree with the government, this year's budget, or this President, it is ridiculous to act as though the government is acting totally against our wishes.

We elected them, people.

So, if you're going to protest, write a letter to your representative or vote for a new guy next time. Don't act like our government is going over our heads - they are acting with our voted support.

5 comments:

Living With Lindsay said...

Yes!

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I often feel so alone in my political beliefs in the blogger world, and I'm glad that you reached out to me. :)

I noticed you are from Dallas (I'm in Austin) - Aren't you loving listening Rick Perry try to talk his way out of his idiotic secession rant? hahahaha

kartasi said...

I'm all for the tea parties... for DC residents. I was embarrassingly ignorant about DC's governance situation before I moved here. They don't get a senator or representative but they're run by Congress. Unbelievable. Did you know the motto on DC license plates is "Taxation without representation"?

Kaycee said...

I never really thought about it, but you make a good point. I need to pay more attention to what's going on around me politically.

Kacie said...

kartasi - good point. DC isn't represented, they don't have a choice.... so they would have a valid protest! :)

Susan said...

What an interesting blog you have! I do see your point, but as a tea party attendee, my beef is that I didn't vote for the politicians I'm peeved about. Even if a majority did vote in the ones we now have, that could mean 49% feel differently (actually a much higher percentage if you count people who didn't vote - although I know you could argue their views don't count). I think the minority should still make its views known, especially at a time when one party is basically ruling.