Wednesday, May 20, 2009

WFMW - How I organize my recipes

People say I am naturally domestic in that I am the oldest of six children so I grew up mothering and helping keep house in some ways. And I do like cooking and that sort of thing. Still, I don't THRIVE on all of it, so post-marriage and post-college it really took me some time to adjust to just keeping house.

I mean, knowing how to cook really isn't enough. You have to know how to plan meals, shop bargains, know your staples, keep a to-buy list, and have a good set of meals you can whip up in 20 minutes.

That has taken me some time. I feel pretty secure in that system now, four years into marriage, though I do still have my days when I get home from working 9-5 and the very last thing I want to do is cook a meal. I suppose that's just life, though? :)

In any case, on to business. I've created a system that works for me to keep my recipes organized. It is simple and home-made, nothing fancy. I need a bunch of recipes that I've tried and can count on and pull out in an emergency. I also love to be creative and try new things. So - I have this accordian file for my untried recipes. I just clip them from the magazines or online sites that I find them and drop them in the appropriate category (beef, chicken, desserts, etc. ). When I'm looking for something new I pull out something and put those ingredients on the to-buy list for that week. If it works, I transfer it to my other recipe file, if it doensn't, I toss it.



Then I have these two recipe books for my tried and true recipes. One book was given to me at my wedding, and it had the usual categories of main dishes, veges, breakfast foods, desserts, etc. Well, I really overloaded my main dish section because that is obviously what I cook the most, so I created my own main-dish recipe book out of a photo album and sticky tabs. I ordered it by meat, so that I can note whatever meat is on sale at the grocery story and then easily search through all the recipes I have for that meat.







It works for me. I feel so domestic.

Head over to We Are That Family for other Works-for-me-Wednesday posts.

5 comments:

lauren roberson said...

I cannot believe we have not talked about this before!! Can I come over and just read your recipe books? Maybe that can be our next girl meeting activity...although I might be the only one that likes that. :)

newlyweds said...

Great system. I have a similar one, but right now its all crammed into 1 binder and I seriously need to go through it.

Jaimie said...

You rock! I want to do this one day. RYC: I got your comment. For some reason, I had comments turned off and discovered this yesterday.

Kristin said...

that's a great idea. I feel like a dork. I have mine in a cheapo coil notebook...

Melissa said...

Great idea. I have a folder with tons of recipes that I've printed or clipped ... but I never make any of them because I don't know what's in there!