Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Taking my sister to college

I have a hard time getting back into writing after a long break, and since this month has been so busy I've finally reached the end of all of my pre-scheduled posts and have only the cache of my brain to draw from now!

Last weekend with my sisters was truly fantastic.

Highlights:

- Eating ice cream during tornado sirens and then dancing around the car begging Isaac to have mercy and let us girls in out of the storm.
From Trip to JBU

From Trip to JBU

- Late nights playing games, talking, and hearing all of Joy's stories from overseas.

- Staying in a hotel room with two double beds after a 5 hour road trip. That never fails to feel like childhood furloughs all over again.

From Trip to JBU


- Treating the college orientation like a big adventure, in which we manage to get a few items of business done, quietly mock overprotective parents, self-tour the college, and totally avoid all of the awkward social interactions most parents and students were having.
From Trip to JBU

- Playing Settlers of Catan in the parent's housing late into the night, during which we get lots of weird looks from parents who think we are students (which annoys Isaac, who is offended that anyone can attribute his beard to an 18 year old).
From Trip to JBU

- Road tripping home while talking theology, singing, and in general enjoying the sun and the road.

- Meeting up with Isaac's grandparents and watching my sisters interact with Isaac's extended family. SO FUNNY.

- Swimming in the Texas heat and bringing along bubble/boba tea! YUMM...
From Trip to JBU

- Gathering together in the airport as sisters and praying for each other.

Mostly, we just soaked up time TOGETHER.

As SISTERS. And FRIENDS.
From Trip to JBU

From Trip to JBU

From Trip to JBU

From Trip to JBU


And FAMILY
From Trip to JBU

From Trip to JBU


Don't worry though, we are not perfectly nice, cheesy people. There was plenty of sibling mockery going on, and it was wonderful:

From Trip to JBU

Yeah. I'm the oldest of six kids. They're mostly all grown up now (just two left at home), but I still feel like part of my charge is to show them that they are all LOVED an accepted by their family, both parents and siblings. And that time together as a family is special. It was great to host both Jana and Joy in our little apartment, to be the ride to college and be able to help guide through the college orientation process without taking it nearly as seriously as parents do. I love understanding the transition process Joy is going through, and so being able to provide a refuge for her to just rest and grieve without the pressure of needing to be okay. And... to pray for each other. That's when I cried. And so did the other two. We're not a crying family, except when we're together and talking about family.

I love us.

4 comments:

francesblank said...

Your family is so wonderful.
I'm glad you all could spend that time together. I'm just learning how you cherish each other when you live so far apart. It's new to me, but I know I appreciate my sisters more.

Jaimie said...

:)

Melissa said...

I love you all, too. =)

Annie Peterson said...

Aw, I love sisters! And family!