Thursday, June 25, 2009

In Honor of a Childhood Favorite: Singing in the Rain

This week on SYTYCD one of the couples did a routine to one of the songs from Singing in the Rain, which made me and my roomie Steph get all sentimental about how Singing in the Rain was a staple of our childhoods.

We had a few movies that my family watched over and over and over again, and outside of them I pretty much hardly watched anything. Some family favorites: Singing in the Rain, The Parent Trap (the Disney Version with Lindsey Lohan pre-druggie days), Newsies, The Sound of Music, Anne of Green Gables.

As a result of my childhood, I love old musicals. The West Side Story, My Fair Lady, Oklahoma, The Sound of Music, Singing in the Rain.... good stuff.

So... here's some classic Singing in the Rain scenes


Lina Lamott attempting diction classes. She was SUCH an annoying character, but so quotable.


The multi-talented Donald O'Conner doing his "Make 'Em Laugh" routine. Last night we marveled at how much the old actors had to do. Dance, comedy, act, sing...


Moses Supposes....


I still sing this one some mornings, such a cheerful song... Good Mornin'

5 comments:

Melissa said...

i love singing in the rain! i grew up watching it too. =)

Alice said...

I adore that movie."Moses Supposes" is brilliant. And the title cut is pretty much my go-to shower sing song! :-)

Lori said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I just received a box of DVDs with logs of musicals.
I watched Singing in the Rain for the first time this week! What took me so long! Loved it! (I'm a SYTYCD fan too!)

Sturgmom said...

I'm a huge fan of musicals (Jason too. That's why we get along so well), but I never saw SitR until I watched it in a media class in college. GREAT show.

But girl, you are missing out of you aren't watching The ORIGINAL Parent Trap w/ Haley Mills. One of my all-time faves! WAY better than the Lindsay Lohan version.

Annette said...

Hey, love the old musicals!! They are timeless and fun! I also enjoyed hearing the song on SYTYCD. I'm a fan of that too! Although dear husband doesn't share mt sentiment about musicals, he can't understand why they have to keep "bursting into song".... :)