Thursday, July 23, 2009

antiquated dogmas

What do you think of this quote from GK Chesterton?

So far as a man may be proud of a religion rooted in humility, I am very proud of my religion; I am especially proud of those parts of it that are most commonly called superstition. I am proud of being fettered by antiquated dogmas and enslaved by dead creeds (as my journalistic friends repeat with so much pertinacity), for I know very well that it is the heretical creeds that are dead, and that it is only the reasonable dogma that lives long enough to be called antiquated.

It was posted on a blog I follow - one of an increasing number of blogs by Catholics, particularly newly converted Catholics from atheistic or evangelical backgrounds. She found the quote on the facebook page of Francis Beckwith, who stunned the evangelical world by converting to Catholicism while he was the President of the Evangelical Theological Society a couple of years back. He doesn't think evangelicalism and Catholicism are mutually exclusive, and his conversion has led me on a journey to understand Roman Catholicism. I now have immense respect for the RC Church.

1 comment:

weelass said...

I grew up in a background that believed all catholics were not 'saved'. I am saddened any time I hear my parents say the word 'catholic' almost as if they are spitting the word from their mouth. I believe Christ taught more about unity than having the 'right' doctrine.