Monday, July 27, 2009

Practical Christian Ministry

Moody Promotional Video from Mothlight Creative on Vimeo.



Some of the guys I went to Moody with created this video for the PCM (practical Christian ministry) department. The concept of requiring students to be out in the city actually ministering as the natural and necessary outworking of a theological education was what made me choose Moody. Once I got to Moody that at times became laughable, because of course sometimes the things people were doing were ridiculous, and sometimes the PCM office was ridiculous, and it could all become cliche, particularly in the eyes of college students struggling against the conservative rules of Moody.

I still struggle with those rules and with some of Moody's more rigid side, but I am still a huge fan of the concept behind PCMs. They really did change me. I worked in an after-school program with the children of homeless kids. I worked in the Puerto-Rican side of town tutoring hordes of absolutely adorable add inner-city kids. I walked the Magnificent Mile and talked to people about their faith and mine (couldn't quite get into street evangelism, but having conversations - that I can do). Those experiences changed me. I am unable to sit in church without being compelled to love on others in response.

1 comment:

weelass said...

Interesting video.
I really hated a few of my PCMs, but once I was able to figure out what I wanted to do and choose them it was a great experience. They also ended up helping me on my resume when I needed 2 years experience working with homeless.