Thursday, September 24, 2009

Quote from Obama's UN Speech

We must remember that the greatest price of this conflict is not paid by us. It is paid by the Israeli girl in Sderot who closes her eyes in fear that a rocket will take her life in the night. It is paid by the Palestinian boy in Gaza who has no clean water and no country to call his own. These are God's children. And after all of the politics and all of the posturing, this is about the right of every human being to live with dignity and security. That is a lesson embedded in the three great faiths that call one small slice of Earth the Holy Land. And that is why—even though there will be setbacks, and false starts, and tough days—I will not waiver in my pursuit of peace.


This is from Obama's speech to the UN yesterday. In the comments section after the article on US News & World Report that quoted this, comments from conservatives scathingly condemned Obama for his lack of biblicism, his pride, setting himself up as a god, and not understanding that there would be no peace until Armageddon.

Heaven help us if we base our foreign policy on our ideas of Armageddon.
What do you guys think of the quote? Sure, every speech is just talk, and what comes behind the speech is what really matters. What I like about it is the emphasis on the dignity of human life.
Of course, most conservatives would say that this is hypocritical, because of Obama's stance on abortion.

1 comment:

Jaimie said...

I firmly believe in the dignity of human life so much so that I actually DISRESPECT people who serve in the military. I know. I am one of those loathsome individuals. I understand the need for self-defense, but I would never actually kill someone, even if they were about to kill me. I just wouldn't. So how can I respect people who will go out and kill people who are not about to kill them? Perhaps "disrespect" is too strong a word for how I feel about it. I don't openly scorn them and I don't praise them.

I need to blog about that.

But about the speech - of course, I love it. I'm not a big fan of basing your present day on your stupid, stupid, stupid, limited understanding of the future, if we can even call that word "understanding." Why don't you just act justly and let the future worry about itself? Wait a sec, that's Biblical.