Friday, November 6, 2009

Flashback Friday - Dancing Queen

From childhood


Once upon a time I was a dancer. It started in the US when I did gymnastics and then tap dance. When we moved to Indonesia I took lessons in Balinese dancing and joined an Indonesian kids dance class.

While I was in the class, our class was picked to dance on TV. Indonesian TV used to show dancing routines all the time. So. I have vague memories of going to a salon and having my face made pasty white and having lipstick put on and my hair done, and being dressed in a frilly outfit to match all of my Indonesian dancing friends. I remember waiting at the studio, but I don't really remembering dancing, and I don't remember the dance - I only remember that it featured a doll, and each of us brought our own doll. It's pretty funny to remember now, because I brought one of my two favorite dolls, a black Cabbage Patch doll. I had no idea it was strange then, but now I chuckle at the memory since Western Indonesians rarely have contact with black people of any kind, and certainly hadn't ever seen a dark-skinned doll before. And here I was, the only white kid, and I've brought a black doll! Way to break the stereotypes, kid.

Oh yeah, and there's that little bit about me dancing on national television. I am simultaneously proud and horribly afraid that someone has it on tape somewhere and it will come back to haunt me.

1 comment:

Togenberg said...

Soooo cute. Little sweetie-pies all around. look at those little kids! haha