Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas 2009 in Indonesia - Pig Feasts

So I thought I was done with my Christmas series, but some friends posted photos on facebook of their Christmas in Indonesia this year, and they were just fantastic. So, with permission, here is a Christmas in Papua, an island in Indonesia that I grew up on.

Christmas Bakar Batu ("Blackened Rocks"), or Pig Roast


Step 1: Big rocks are carried from a fire and placed in a shallow pit. The density of the rocks keeps them hot for hours after they've been taken out of the fire.

From christmas in Indonesia


Step 2: Big chunks of pork, corn, potatoes, and other veges are wrapped in banana leaves and placed over the hot rocks, and then wrapped into a big steamy package, where they cook for hours.

From christmas in Indonesia


Step 3: The package is carefully unwrapped, and the tender meat and vegetables are divided up.

From christmas in Indonesia


Step 4: Everyone sits in little groups with their "plates" of leaves ready for their food. In the tropics the umbrellas are more for keeping off the sun than the rain!

From christmas in Indonesia


Recognizing the varying Western customs, the Papuans provide a table for the "orang asing" (people of the West).

From christmas in Indonesia


It is SO so so so delicious. Tender, juicy, flavorful...

From christmas in Indonesia


That's the traditional Papuan celebration meal. Here are a few more random Christmas moments in Papua.

One of my heroes, a true missionary maverick (he's been shot with guns and arrows, hiked everywhere, and has the most unbelievable stories. He spoke at one of my graduation ceremonies) making pancakes out of sago.

From christmas in Indonesia


Prepping a Christmas meal with friends and neighbor kids. I love this, because I know many missionaries that keep their homes closed. I love it when people fellowship with the Papuans and Indonesians as brothers and sisters.

From christmas in Indonesia


Guitar hero with friends and neighbors:
From christmas in Indonesia


And, just because people ask me all the time what kids do for fun when you grow up in the middle of nowhere:

You go to the beach (That's my beach!)
From christmas in Indonesia

From christmas in Indonesia


From christmas in Indonesia


And you hang out around town, or around school, which beats the heck out of your school campus:

From christmas in Indonesia


You ride motorcycles around:

From christmas in Indonesia


And investigate the cool things around. Instead of the pet store at the mall, you can check out the local wildlife up close, like this cous cous, a marsupial native to the area.

From christmas in Indonesia

I do so love where I grew up. LOVE it.

4 comments:

junglewife said...

I recognize those friends! We went to language school with them :-)

Thanks for sharing their photos!

One note... I think it should be "orang asing" rather than "orang asin" :-) I think "asin" means salty... :-)

Bethany said...

I completely understand not posting much lately- the same goes for me. It's a very busy time of year!

It's so much fun to read your stories-- I seriously love it!

Kacie said...

Hah, you are right, that made me chuckle. Salty people. :)

Togenberg said...

Food sounds delicious!

Great pictures! and I had never heard of a cous cous.