Thursday, December 31, 2009

In the last 10 years...

This is the last day of 2009.

I remember 10 years ago when we turned into the new millennium and Y2K didn't happen. My family was in Wichita, KS for the holidays and we were headed out in a week to return to Papua for my last year and a half there. I remember running outside into the snow in bare feet to see the fireworks when it hit midnight. I was wondering if my crush from furlough was watching the sky at the same time (oh sappy high school self, get a life!).

It's ironic that as a nation we were so worried about Y2K, when that would really be the least of our worries in the next 10 years. I think that while we still live immensely privileged lives, the last 10 years has been hard on the psyche of America. Beginning with 9/11 and carrying through to the current economy, I think America no longer believes we're at the top of the world. My question is - will we use that the humble us and get back to work, or will we spend our time moaning and making up conspiracy theories? I think the answer to that question may well define our next 10 years... that and the potential spread or stagnancy of militant Islamic fundamentalism worldwide.

In the last ten years I graduated from high school and then graduated from college, got married, rented my first apartment, owned my first car, had my first job, and life has changed completely. I am a very much changed person (not entirely different from who I was 10 years ago, but mostly different!).

I don't think any other decade will hold so much change, but I may bite my tongue on that, because if in another ten years we have several kids and are working overseas, who knows, I may feel like things have changed entirely again.

I've learned some things over the last 10 years.

- Though how I read scripture, what I think about the church, and the lifestyle rules I live by have changed immensely, the journey to knowing God remains unchanged and the central purpose of my life.

- Good friendship is worth the commitment, and with commitment, it lasts through time and change and growing up. Thank God for that!

- My family is incredible and I love them immensely, and in the past 10 years I have realized just how important they are to me. As a kid I took them for granted.

- Marriage isn't easy, but it is immensely fun and secure and loving and transformational when you're willing to not be selfish. It is the most humbling thing I've ever done.

- Turns out I still don't really know what I want to do with my life. I'm not that much further along with that question than I was 10 years ago!

- I still love Papua as much as I did 10 years ago. It is still my home. However, I have learned that you can love any place and people if you set your mind and heart to it.

3 comments:

Niamh Griffin said...

Happy New Year Kacie! Hope the next ten years are just as great for you:)

Togenberg said...

Beautiful! You've changed a lot, and it's exciting to see.

debd said...

what great things to experience and learn. You are so right about the Y2K thing.