Thursday, January 7, 2010

Christmas Adventures!

Given that I have posted about Christmas in Indonesia and South Asia, Christmas in Cincinnati seems significantly less exciting. For you. For us, though, it was wonderful.

First, just before we took off,I had a Christmas party with my Freshman girls. They hate dirty Santa exchanges (apparently everyones' feelings get hurt??), so we instituted an "accessories" gift exchange with no stealing. Bess picked the scarf I brought.


From christmas


I love them!

From christmas


Then there was my family, who gathered in Denver while we joined Isaac's family. I'm okay with that, I have two families now! They had buckets of snow and Matt went out to shovel show without telling anyone, and apparently shovelled all the way down the block and then got lost. The entire family went out looking for him right as the cops picked him up wandering around the playground of his snow-covered school a few blocks away. I think it was JUST cold enough that he learned his lesson without any actual trauma. And my mom - she has nerves of steel and never freaks out, so all was good and well.

I love these two photos, the first with three siblings looking out over Denver. They're the three that just came back from overseas this summer, and I couldn't help but think it was three mks looking over America and contemplating their future:


From christmas


But add family and fun and everything turns out okay:


From christmas


We live far away from family and we are slogging through the seminary years, so being with Isaac's family is so relaxing and refreshing even if it isn't exotic! 'Twas plenty of reading and computer-game playing, long discussions (especially between Isaac and his Dad post-Creation Museum visit!), food (and more food, and more food), games, relaxing walks, and family time. We even went to an absolutely hilarious play. So good.


From christmas


From christmas


Christmas Day... Isaac's family gives out ONE present at a time, and with the entire family and grandparents there, that stretched the gift-opening time out for hours! Isaac got brother-in-law Dempsey boxers with a print of dogs just like his dog (I refused to put my name on the gift!), and Isaac got a shirt he liked and proceeded to wear all day with his pajama pants. Classy.

From christmas



He also got a saxaphone! Actually it was his Aunt's, and she gave it to him since she never plays anymore. He picked it right up after years of not playing and started feeling out how to play Amazing Grace. I love it.

From christmas


A few days later it was Grandmommy's birthday and everyone came over again and we had a fondue dinner. Fannnntastic.

From christmas


We visited the Creation Museum, which I wrote about on my theology blog. Outside they had a Live Nativity. The Mary/Jesus/Joseph part was sort of ruined by the Indiana Jones-like narrator on the top of the display...

From christmas


The Magi had an actual camel next to him that you can't see in this picture. I stood there watching for ages before I saw it move, which totally freaked me out...

From christmas


And the whole place was packed with Mennonites, for no particular reason.

From christmas


It was also freezing, and snowing, and the petting zoo was nearly empty except for some skittish lama, sheep, and this poor freezing peacock.

From christmas


Oh, and we took a family picture. Or tried. I have yet to decide whether or not we were successful. I have been taking these pictures my entire life and it never gets any easier.

From christmas

Two more posts about Christmas break coming up... Jungle Jim's International Supermarket and a family Murder Mystery!

1 comment:

justaweeblether said...

Yes, Stevie is my brother. He is 7 years younger than me. It is great having him around. He makes me smile. I missed him so much when we were in Scotland.