Thursday, January 14, 2010

the power of friendship and community

Ahhhh... there is just flat not enough time to blog! It's killing me.

Okay maybe that's slightly over-dramatic, but I do wish I had more time.

Isaac started school this week, and I start an online class next week, and my day job has been busy... which is great. I am relieved when my job is busy, because I feel useful. Feeling useless has been the bane of my existence the past few years!

I find myself incredibly thankful for community today. It's amazing to see how, when left alone, we don't see things clearly. We hear the voices in our own head, we can't be objective, our emotions overwhelm us. It's amazing to see the power of the love, comfort, or perspective of OTHER people, when you truly let them see into your life and speak honestly to you. I absolutely loves that my church recognizes this, and that they work so hard to form good community groups so that people truly do encounter each other and are changed by true community.

I met with a friend today. We met in a Starbucks, and I got there 30 minutes early. I throughly enjoyed my half-syrup cinnamon dolce latte (bought with a gift card!), my Chaim Potok book (he's incredible), and the people watching. I love coffee shops, I love the way people meet and talk and engage with each other there.

When my friend came, she was heavy-hearted. She talked. She told me her story. I got to listen. I got to hear her heart. Speak truth back to her. Love her. I told her about my week. Somehow, just in talking, the cloud lifts. We tell jokes. We laugh. We pray together, so thankful for just the chance to talk to a friend, and amazed by how powerful that is. We left, encouraged, joyful.

That's love in action. That is the Spirit moving in us and through us. It's the body of Christ in action. It is the imago dei in us.

I love it.

7 comments:

The Bald Guy said...

Adore where you say, "Somehow, just in talking, the cloud lifts." That's so true. I can relate to that! Good luck with the online classes.

Karli said...

I'm reading My Name is Asher Lev. Which book are you reading?

Kacie said...

Yep, my name is Asher Lev. I'm loving it! Have you read Chaim Potok's bio? Amazing...

Sarah Eliza @ devastateboredom said...

So true! And I just started grad classes, so I relate to the busy thing and wishing for more time... I <3 Chaim Potok. The Chosen is still my favorite though I think. I don't know much about him as a person though...

CM said...

I agree that both friendship and community are very powerful things! I have been very blessed with friendships, but am only recently beginning to better understand the power of community.

Jobe said...

Very true--what you said about your interactions with your friend and the simple joy of people-watching. I love days like that and I'm glad you go to have one. :) Good to hear your job is fulfilling as well!

Togenberg said...

That's so joyfully put