Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Year in Review

1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Shared an apartment with another couple
Joined a gym

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Well, I had three.
A) Stop biting/picking at my nails. Success! It took nearly the whole year, but the past few months have finally resulted in success. I intend to treat both my feet and hands with extra TLC to keep it up!
B) Reinstate a daily prayer/devotional time into my life. Mostly successful. For some reason I find this a much harder discipline to keep up as an adult than I did as a teen, but I am glad to focus my day meditating on the Lord.
C) Pick up drawing again. Total failure! However, instead I started reading like mad, like I used to as a kid but haven't since the middle of high school. That has been wonderful.

Oh and also, I picked up exercising regularly, even though that wasn't a resolution.

My resolutions for 2010? To get a few pre-reqs and classes into my MA in counseling, and to pick up art again, even just a little. Oh, and to visit Austin, since I've been only 2 hours away for 2.5 years, it is supposedly a fantastic city, and I still haven't been.

3. What places did you visit?

Isaac and I were in South Asia last Christmas. We went to Chicago and Arkansas to visit family over the summer, and I went to Chicago and Arkansas for work trips in the Fall. We spent Christmas in Cincinnati.

4. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?

Hmm. A memory foam mattress pad?

5. What days from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Moving in with the roomies, being fake "parents" at my sisters' college orientation, my birthday with my whole family, spontaneous Halloween dress-up and shenanigans, prayer times with Sabri, LINDA'S WEDDING!

6. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Hmm. I had a blog post that was published in a magazine? Not that impressive, but this year wasn't filled with accomplishments!

7. What was your biggest failure?
Withdrawing into insecurity instead of being freed by love.

8. What was your biggest wake-up call?
I think I'll be writing about this soon, but looking back on the last two years and processing why it was so difficult to adjust to Dallas has been sort of revelatory in my own understanding of myself, friendships, and insecurity.

9. What was the best thing you bought?
My wonderful rusty rattly old Toyota Tercel. No question!

10. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My sister Joy, in her positive attitude towards adjusting to life in the US. My mom, in her own understanding of herself and insecurity and teaching me the life lessons she's learned.

11. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I've been absolutely appalled by some angry Christians that buy into ridiculous conspiracy theories, trash the President, and are willing to lose friends just because they disagree with them.

12. Where did most of your money go?
Towards food, rent, and Isaac's tuition.

13. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Traveling. Isaac finishing his schooling and me getting into mine. Starting a family someday. Seeing old friends.

14. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Sara Groves and Over the Rhine, probably. I started really listening to both of them this year. Or "Party in the USA" and "Love Story" by Taylor Swift, because the student ministry kids play them all the time!

15. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Just having fun with friends!

16. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Hm. Probably watching stupid TV shows or movies I don't even like. Unfortunately, usually the hubs does like them!

17. What was your favorite TV program?
Lost. Absolutely. But I also enjoy House, So You Think You Can Dance, the Office.

18. What was your favorite film of this year?
Star Trek.

19. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Got mani/pedis with my mom and sisters, and went to a play/singalong with my whole family. Twas wonderful. I turned 27, which is the same age my parents were when they got married.

20. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Umm.. same as always, classic, with a hippie twist when I can get away with it.

21. What kept you sane?
Dates with Isaac! Good friends here in Dallas (yay!). Having my own car has freed me.

22. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Oh geez. I dunno. They're sort of a facade. I really do genuinely appreciate the way Obama has engaged with other countries and deal with our foreign policy this year. However, I dislike other things he does, so that's a mixed bag.

23. What is a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009?
That it is okay to be introverted, and it's okay to be awkward, the most important thing is to love people regardless of how you feel.

24. What is a valuable spiritual lesson you learned in 2009?
I have been struck - through a book I've been reading all year, in my own Bible reading, in the lessons I'm teaching to my small group, and in my understanding of Eastern Orthodoxy, with how much God has designed us to know Him, and wants to be known. He chose Israel to know Him and to display that to the world that they would know Him as well. He provided a way to be known through Christ. Paul longs to know Christ. I do too, and I am struck with the centrality of this, but what does it mean to actually know Christ, to know God? This I feel like I have no grasp of at all!

25. What are you most proud of from 2009?
I think it really has been amazing to open up our lives to living with Asher and Steph. That is an adventure that lots of people think we're crazy for. It has been so good, and challenging in a good way for me, to come out of my shell and be spontaneous and have fun. I love that the four of us are doing this.


26. What are your goals for 2010?
See #1. Art, and starting an MA.

27. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
By Sara Groves, "Just Showed Up For My Own Life"


Spending my time sleep walking
Moving my mouth but not saying a thing
Hoping the changes would take by working their way from the outside in
I was in love with an idea
Preoccupied with how a life should appear
Spending my time at the surface repairing the holes in the shiny veneer

There are so many ways to hide
There are so many ways not to feel
There are so many ways to deny what is real
And I just showed up for my own life
And I'm standing here taking it in and it sure looks bright

I'm going to live my life inspired
Look for the holy in the common place
Open the windows and feel all that's honest and real until I'm truly amazed
I'm going to feel all my emotions
I'm going to look you in the eyes
I'm going to listen and hear until it's finally clear and it changes our lives

Oh the glory of God is man fully alive
Oh the glory of God is man fully alive

8 comments:

Ramit said...

Happy New Year Kacie!

Alice said...

I've been meaning to tell you--I think we both need to get the book "Introverts in the Church: Finding our Place in an Extroverted Culture" by Adam McHugh. I've heard it's really good. Then we could blog about it! :-)

Jaimie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Jaimie said...

But, you know, if you deleted that comment above, I wouldn't mind. :P

Jaimie said...

PS. I saw Invictus, and kept thinking, "Kacie would like this movie!"

Kacie said...

Yep - the Introverts book has caught my eye as well!

AND I want to see Invictus. In fact, there's SO many movies I want to see right now, but blockbuster is void of anything interesting on the new release wall at the moment and theaters are too expensive. However, our Christmas vacation movie date was Avatar, post coming soon!

Niamh Griffin said...

Good luck with the study. You've been thinking about working in counselling for a while so hope this is the year it happens!

Kacie said...

well I've had an an undergrad degree but we assumed I wouldn't be able to start my MA until my husband is done with his graduate degree. His degree is a four year program, so that is a long wait. This will hopefully jump-start my education!