Saturday, February 6, 2010

Behind-the-scenes White House Photos

 I have said before that I love the flikr White House Photostream. I think the photographer put up some of his favorites from the past year, and I pulled some of my favorites and put them here with the photographer's descriptions. Sometimes his little comments made me chuckle, like the one below "tried not to look on" - hilarious!

Jan. 20, 2009
“We were on a freight elevator headed to one of the Inaugural Balls. It was quite chilly, so the President removed his tuxedo jacket and put it over the shoulders of his wife. Then they had a semi-private moment as staff member and Secret Service agents tried not to look.”
(Official White House photo by Pete Souza)
P012009PS-1185

Feb. 1, 2009
“During a Super Bowl watching party in the White House theatre, the President and First Lady join their guests in watching one of the TV commercials in 3D.” (I got to see this theatre when I got a tour of the West Wing - Kacie)
(Official White House photo by Pete Souza)
P020109PS-0339


March 2, 2009
“Washington had its first big snowstorm and I knew the girls were home from school. I suspected the girls might try to sled or make a snowman, so I asked the Usher’s Office to call me if the girls headed outside. I got there just in time to catch the First Lady helping the girls sled down a hill on the South Lawn. This picture now hangs on the wall of the President’s study.”
(Official White House photo by Pete Souza)
P030209PS-0198


March 9, 2009
“To appreciate this photograph, one must know the iconic photograph by Stanley Tretick of John Kennedy Jr. crawling out from the trap door of this same desk while his father, President Kennedy, worked at the desk. Caroline Kennedy had stopped by to see President Obama, and when she mentioned that he was using the same desk as her father, the President immediately remembered the Tretick picture and tried to open the trap door. It was locked and no one had a key.”
(Official White House photo by Pete Souza)
P030909PS-0199


May 8, 2009
“A temporary White House staffer, Carlton Philadelphia, brought his family to the Oval Office for a farewell photo with President Obama. Carlton’s son softly told the President he had just gotten a haircut like President Obama, and asked if he could feel the President’s head to see if it felt the same as his.”
(Official White House photo by Pete Souza)
P050809PS-0264


May 19, 2009
“The President was leaving the State Floor after an event and found Sasha in the elevator ready to head upstairs to the private residence. He decided to ride upstairs with her before returning to the Oval Office.”
(Official White House photo by Pete Souza)
P051909PS-0510


May 20, 2009
“It was a glorious spring day and President Obama decided to move his meeting with his senior advisors outside to the Rose Garden.”
(Official White House photo by Pete Souza)
P052009PS-0405


July 7, 2009
“Family dinner is usually private time. But I heard they were having dinner atop their hotel in Moscow, which overlooked the Kremlin. When they first sat down, Sasha was just having some fun with her dad.”
(Official White House photo by Pete Souza)
P070709PS-1131


Aug. 5, 2009
“I was sitting in the reception area outside the Oval Office when Sasha walked by and headed to the Oval. I suspected something was up, so I followed her. Sasha then crawled into the office, hiding behind the sofa, and when she reached the far end, jumped up and yelled trying spook her dad.”
(Official White House photo by Pete Souza)
P080509PS-0410


Oct. 13, 2009
“Much to Sasha’s chagrin, the President starts dancing to the music at the Fiesta Latina event on the South Lawn of the White House.”
(Official White House photo by Pete Souza)
P101309PS-0926


Dec. 19, 2009
“The First Lady, Malia and Sasha were outside in the midst of the snowstorm playing with the family dog, Bo.”
(Official White House photo by Pete Souza)
P121909PS-0247

Dec. 19, 2009
“Snowball in hand, the President chases Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel on the White House colonnade. To escape, Rahm ran through the Rose Garden, which unfortunately for him, was knee-deep in snow.”
(Official White House photo by Pete Souza)
P121909PS-0113

8 comments:

Jaimie said...

This is great. I'm plugging this. My favorite one is the "tried not to look on" and Sasha trying to scare her dad.

Kacie said...

I also love the one where Sasha is embarassed about her Dad's dancing. Lol...

Alice said...

I just love these pictures! I saw the one of Sasha/Dad in the elevator in a magazine--apparently the president picked that as one of his favs...

justaweeblether said...

Those are great photos. So down to earth.

Bethany said...

Those are great pictures! I don't follow the photostream but I remember you saying you enjoy it. :) Maybe I should follow it!

everydayMOM said...

Those were great photos!

Erin said...

They are such nice photos - shows that they are a normal family :) (as normal as you can be if your Dad's President of US)

Anonymous said...

Wauuww so that's Mr. Obama :))
I'm impressed.
Coolest President I've ever seen.

Warm regards from Papua
Hope he can see our tears T_T