Monday, March 1, 2010

Visiting Austin, Texas

The Capitol Building at nightWe drove to Austin in the last hour of light it was AMAZING. I've been wanting to visit Austin because every time I complained about how un cosmopolitan Dallas was, people would tell me I should see Austin because it's a cool city. They're right. It is! I love that they have a hopping downtown, they have a hippie vibe combined with some sweet history, and it's just pretty.

 We  managed to tour the state capitol building, which is super gorgeous. It's strange to realize Austin to be the capitol of a country, not just a state. It's a gorgeous building:



The interior dome is really pretty, and as I was taking pictures Isaac pointed out the sweet little spiral staircase on the left side of the photo below.





We saw the Texas House of Representatives




...the Texas Senate...


...a massive painting of Bushie as Governor (we have so much to be proud of??)...


...a massive painting of Davy Crocket...


... and gorgeous gorgeous architecture. I also thought it was strange that we walked in unhindered and walked around all of the above-mentioned spots without being scanned. How easy would it be for a bomber to walk in? The guard in a cowboy hat in a corner ain't gonna be much help at that point!

hey cupcake!
 I complain to Isaac that if I was meant to move to Texas I was meant to move to Austin, not Dallas. It is SO freakin cool. Dallas has mostly yuppies and then some very rich and poor. Austin has hipsters, and then some very rich and poor. It's laid out so well, driving down South Congress and seeing the Capitol in the distance in the sunset, while surrounded by amazingly hipster restaurants and stores but just sweet. I was beside myself. We ate at the famous Magnolia cafe, which was delicious. (FYI - the photo to the right is not my photo - click to go see the photographer on flikr).



I loved Austin. It was great to play tourist and explore and of course to road trip with Isaac. Good times!

7 comments:

Jaimie said...

Ha! You would write this on the day that I decide I am not moving to Austin, but staying in Houston. Fail, Kacie. :P

Anonymous said...

FORMER country. :-)

Austin sounds cool! A place I'd like to visit for sure.

Troy

Rae said...

Oh, you make me want to visit Austin. I have only been to Houston, so when I think of TX cities, I don't typically think of the way people describe Austin!

Togenberg said...

I am just teasing you, Kacie. You don't seem the Tea Party secessionist type.

niamh said...

Sounds like a great trip! Seems like someone might be feeling restless again??

Kacie said...

restless? That never stopped! It's built in. :)

And indeed, not exactly a tea-partier. Rick Perry can count on NOT getting my vote!

My Owl Barn said...

A couple of my friends are from Austin and they always have good things to say about the place. I have never been to Austin but now I think it's time that I do.