Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Living with cats...

My blog friend and the wife of a co-worker has a great blog in which she consistently talks about their two cats, which they call furbabies. I love it.

We have furbabies around our place now too, thanks to our roomates, who brought Fatty and Stank into this relationship. Isaac says that the day I blog about cats is the day I become a crazy cat lady, but oh well. They fascinate me, thus I photograph them, and thus they end up on here.... apologies to all you dog people....



I had cats as a kid, but it's different now, and I find them endlessly entertaining. They're so quirky!

There's Fatty, who is gray, has big bright yellow eyes, a swinging pooch that gave her her name, and is... well... not so smart.



Then there's Stank, who sometimes stinks (but only sometimes) and is regal and a little reserved and very pretty.



She loves me. I think it's because we have the same personality... introverted but people-loving anyways. Hah!


I love this one, with Isaac in his spot in the background.



Cat behavior fascinates me. Bathtime is so strange - that they endlessly clean themselves with their tongues and then puke up hairballs later.... so strange. Or that they clean each others' ears, licking deeeeeply. Gross.


These cats eat pellets and nothing else. They can sit right next to us as we eat meat or fish - they'll sniff at it curiously but won't touch it.... it's clearly not palatable if it's not a pellet.

They also are scared of the outdoors, since they've never really been out there. If I open the back door to our patio to water the plants, they will both come and stand at the door's edge and stare outside, fascinated. They will also run back inside, terrified, if you make one wrong move. If they happen to see a bug, they'll stalk it and jump on it and then walk away, as if to say, "Everything in me said to get that bug, but I really don't know what to do with it.... "

They also get extremely curious in the morning when we're getting ready in the bedroom or bathroom behind closed doors. We'll open the door and catch them crouched down, watching through the crack at the bottom. Creepsters.

They have the odd habit of begging to be petted, and then as soon as you pet them, they turn around with their butt in your face. Eww. Petting ends, they turn around like... "What is your problem? Why have you ceased to pet me?" They never learn....



AND they lay around in the weirdest positions I've ever seen. Most cats curl in a ball or lay on their stomachs. These cats think they're people:



Or... well... this is really unexplainable. We think maybe she likes the feeling of blood rushing to her head?:




Isaac tortures them - chasing them around the house laughing wildly, or inviting them up on the foot rest pictured above, only to drop it out from under their feet when they jump up. They eventually forgive him, but they're still wary of him. Stank always comes into our bedroom while I'm getting ready for bed at night and rolls around on the bed asking to be petted. She's very snuggly, until she hears the noises of Isaac moving around the living room or bathroom. Then she tenses up and and as soon as he comes down the hall she bolts out the door. Strange...

6 comments:

Jaimie said...

Yeah, I'm definitely not a cat person. They're so self-important when they're... not. Dogs have a more accurate appreciation of their lot.

I mean, cats are more stuck-up than *I* am, and I'm the superior being.

Kacie said...

Jaimie, in our apartment we say that dogs think, "you feed me, you pet me, you take care of me, you must be God." Cats think, "You feed me, you pet me, you take care of me, I must be God."

Jaimie said...

Haha, yes, which is why it's so funny when you torture them! You're giving them existential crises!

Isaac said...

Haha... So, torturing cats is an exercise in philosophical awakening? Alright, yet ANOTHER reason :)

Steph said...

you actually made a post about our cats. this made my day. :)

Togenberg said...

I love cats and dogs (more of a dog person but cats are great).

I have a cat crush on Stank. What a beautiful cat! Love the sleeping on the back in the bed picture! hahahaha