Friday, May 14, 2010

7 Quick Takes

-- 1 --

My sister went to prom! I got to help her pick her dress, which is a gorgeous purple, both of our favorite color. She's gorgeous. She went with a good friend and one of their guy friends as a group of three, which is fun because that's what I did my senior year, and it was very fun.



She almost had to wear heels, so mom made her try on a pair and walk around the store. You woulda thought she was being vaccinated... she was that excited about it. So - no heels it was, and she survived 20 minutes of shopping for pretty flats at Payless. :) I love the picture below, I think she looks slightly mortified behind her smile. ;)



--2--

leecrystalIdol. I was asked this week how I, as a tck (third-culture kid - someone that grew up overseas), felt that I could have a valid opinion on a show like American Idol. I was insulted. :) Personally, I think all of you Lee Dewyze fans are crazy. He's boring, his voice isn't that strong, and his performances are inconsistent. So yeah, that's what I think about that! Crystal is the only one who truly has shown exemplary singing and performance. The only time I've liked Lee was in his duet with Crystal.







The Help by Kathryn Stockett -- 3 --


I finished reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It came highly recommended, and it was great. It's the story of black maids/nannies in the South, just as the civil rights movement was getting off the ground. It's told through the eyes of two of the maids and one white woman. It's funny, sad, dramatic, and thoughtful.




-- 4 --


swirlLast year when I asked for advice about foundation and makeup on facebook and on here, a lot of people recommended Bare Minerals. I've been using it for six months now after a starter kit was given to me on my birthday. I do love it! Last summer I finally found a good oil-control foundation in Revlon Colorstay, and I really need that in the heat of the Dallas summer. However, when it finally cools off, Clare is right that it's also a very heavy foundation. Bare Minerals was great for the cooler months - it's hard to believe it provides any coverage because it's so light! Just feels really natural. As it heats back up I may transition back to Colorstay. Bare Minerals is expensive, but it lasts a long time.


-- 5 --

Hah! When I just searched for a picture of Elena Kagan on flikr, two different photos like this popped up:

Elena . . James!??!

 Politics! Ya'll know I have had a more liberal bent recently, but I'm completely unimpressed with the nomination of Kagan. I don't think it's just a conservative critique to say that she has too little actual sitting judge experience. To me, that's key. I don't just want a law expert, I want someone with experience as a judge to judge in our highest court. That should be KEY. Aside from that, she rose quickly and recently via Clinton, thus making her experience very much tied to politics rather than the pure legal world. Dislike again. She seems nice enough, but I wouldn't be sad if she's not approved.

-- 6 -- 

First joint press conference

Watching the British system working out the hung Parliament has been fascinating. I remember during the US elections, my British friends Rachel and Fiona struggled to grasp the differences between the Republicans and the Democrats... now it's my turn to struggle to grasp the differences between the Lib Dems, the Conservatives, and Labor. Labour especially I don't understand - they don't fit into my typical US categories. I LOVE watching the coalition happen, I love the speed of it all verses the YEAR the US elections took. I think David Cameron is fascinating and his speech the other day was brilliant.

-- 7 -- 


Lost - Jacob, Esau, Locke and BackgammonIn a week it's the Lost finale. the last few episodes have been super controversial, which I think is inevitable. There are so many expectations to live up to. Honestly I enjoyed this week's episode - it seems I was one of few who did! I am comfortable with Lost being a blend of a real-ish world set within a whole mythological past. There IS science, but the faith part, the mythology that really isn't realistic, is quite clear as well. I can live with that tension. I'm also okay with recognizing that in a mythological world, just like in our real world, when you pull back the layers and answer question after question, you still end up at a place where you say, "it's that way because it's that way and that's just how it is and always has been." We rational minds don't like it, but that's what scientists run up against and in the end people of faith say, "it's that way because that's how it was created to be". Isaac makes the point that he likes it because it IS very ancient Greek in its portrayal of these great archetypes of these feuding brothers, the conflicted mother, ancient murders, god-like people interacting with real people. We know the old myths of Zeus, etc. The very presence of the "gods" invites the question of where THEY came from, which the Greeks are comfortable never knowing.

4 comments:

Jaimie said...

I was talking with my hairdresser yesterday and we couldn't remember the name of the guy who won American Idol last year. I think that's pretty telling. We DO remember Adam Lambert. Heck, I even remember David Cook, David Archuletta. But I can't remember the guy who won last year.

I'm cheering for Crystal, by the way.

The Help is the next book I'm going to read. :)

Kacie said...

Oh I still love the guy that won last year. I love his hit song too! But yeah, he's not as well known. Actually, when you compare their music, I like Kris Allen's better than Adam's. You know his name, but do you know his songs? He's known for controversy!

Rae said...

Oh, how funny that I am "more liberal" when it comes to Kagan. I doubt that I would/will be thrilled with her decisions, but I don't think the "lack of experience" objection is especially strong. If she had a long history as a judge we would have a better idea of her decisions on each issue, but it is not as if she lacks legal experience. She probably wrote the decisions when she was a clerk, and if confirmed her clerks can write her opinions. See? I'm not cynical at all. ;-)

And I am completely with you on being confused by the British system!

Clare said...

I must've missed your makeup post!! I'm giving mineral makeup another go - the best, I've been told is meow cosmetics who only sell online. I'm waiting for my samples to arrive, but I'm still quite wary. I like a heavy foundation but they come in different formulations, which could be promising. I'll let you know, anyway.

So funny about your sister wearing flats to prom!! She looked gorgeous :)