Monday, June 28, 2010

Christian Hipster Bookshelf

Brett McCracken posted  last week about the books that define and shape the thinking of Christian Hipsters. He said:

How many of these 50 books have you read? If you’ve read more than 20 of them, there is a good chance that you are a Christian with artistic or intellectual tendencies. If you’ve read more than 30 of them, you are most likely a Christian hipster. If you’ve read more than 40 of them, let me know. You could probably write the sequel to Hipster Christianity.
I've read 12, and four or five others are on my shelf as my next books to read. So... I'm apparently not TOO immersed, but have a good dosage of Christian Hipster in me. How do you fare?

Augustine – Confessions
C.S. Lewis – Till We Have Faces
Walker Percy – The Moviegoer
Dorothy Sayers – The Mind of the Maker
G.K. Chesterton – Orthodoxy
George MacDonald – Phantastes
Evelyn Underhill – Mysticism
Terry Eagleton – After Theory
Jean-Paul Sarte – Being and Nothingness
Tolkien – The Lord of the Rings
Annie Dillard – Pilgrim at Tinker Creek
Donald Miller – Blue Like Jazz
Kathleen Norris – Acedia & Me
Marilynne Robinson – Gilead
Shushako Endo- Silence
George Steiner – Real Presences
William Shakespeare- King Lear
Anne Lamott – Traveling Mercies
Plato – The Republic
Jacques Ellul – The Technological Society
Flannery O’Connor – Wise Blood
Chuck Klosterman – Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs
Dave Eggers – A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Martin Buber – I and Thou
Neil Postman – Amusing Ourselves to Death
Lauren Winner – Real Sex
Douglas Coupland – Life After God
Tim Keller – The Reason For God
N.T. Wright – Surprised by Hope
Fyodor Dostoyevsky – Crime and Punishment
A.W. Tozer – The Knowledge of the Holy
Henri Nouwen – The Return of the Prodigal Son
Dietrich Bonhoeffer – The Cost of Discipleship
Jack Kerouac – On the Road
John Steinbeck – East of Eden
Jean Baudrillard – Simulacra and Simulation
Rob Bell – Velvet Elvis
William P. Young – The Shack
Shane Claiborne – The Irresistible Revolution
Thomas a Kempis – The Imitation of Christ
Dallas Willard – The Divine Conspiracy
Eugene Peterson – The Message
Paul Tillich – The Courage To Be
Francis Collins – The Language of God
J.I. Packer – Knowing God
Andy Crouch – Culture Making
Madeline L’Engle – Walking on Water
Mark Noll – The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind
Jim Wallis – God’s Politics
William Faulkner – As I Lay Dying

8 comments:

Charlotte said...

I would venture a guess to say that many Christians would consider quite a few of these to be heretical, if not less-than-Christian.

Then again, I see some perfectly fine titles on that list. Which proves that Christianity is mighty fluid.

Jaimie said...

8 for me... yish.

Kacie said...

Yeah, Charlotte, I think you're right. But most of them are books that Christian hipsters would read and reflect on and react to.... even if they don't adhere to them themselves?

s-p said...

I've read 17 of the authors, but not necessarily the books listed. All the old stuff, nothing much past Packer and L'Engle.

Kacie said...

the older ones are always better anyways, right? They've stood the test of time..

Togenberg said...

I've read about 15 or so. I am not sure what a Christian hipster, but I am pretty sure that reading Plato and Augustine are not part of anybody's idea of hip. hahaha Kerouac maybe? but St. Augustine?

Rae said...

I'm with Togenberg on this one. I've read about 10 of these but more than half were in college. Hardly hip. :-)

Aaron E. Elmore said...

Kacie, just got your blog from a friend (Karli B.) Good stuff! This is an interesting list. Some are titles you might not expect to be on a list together.

I have read all or portions of 14. I don't know much about the "hipster" idea but I am definitely curious to look into it now.