Friday, August 20, 2010

7 Quick Takes

1. My monthly checkup was yesterday. I've gained about... ohh.. 18 pounds, though it's hard to say because we don't have a scale at home so I'm not sure where I was at when I started. I think I'm okay with that! I asked Isaac if I've gained weight in my face (which I hate most of ALL... I get chipmunk cheeks) and he said no. Then I asked him if he'd actually tell me if the answer was yes, and he said no again. Hah! So helpful.

2.  Initially, my thickening waist was traumatizing because it doesn't immediately thicken into this nice little round belly. Now that I have a little pregnancy "basketball belly", I feel very comfortable with the pregnant look. I must say, though, that I SO so appreciate some of the guys at my work, who I've noticed are very intentional to tell pregnant women that they are looking beautiful. Much about pregnancy is not beautiful, but it also IS... and when these guys genuinely see blooming motherhood as something truly beautiful, it really is comforting. I so appreciate that they're willing to be so affirming.

3. I found out today that out of about 112 prisons in Texas, only 19 are air conditioned. Now, that might be one thing in most of the rest of America, but Texas can get dang hot in the summer. There was a little debate over my comment about this on facebook, and Isaac disagrees with me (not uncommon at all, we generally have opposite political opinions). It is just crazy to me - I know people live in heat around the world and people lived in Texas before AC, but when you're in prison you can't get a cold drink, you can't find a cooler spot, you're just stuck sitting there. It's not like everyone needs their own vent to keep things SO cool either - it just should be moderated to not be roasting, in my opinion. We don't need to make prisoners comfortable, but we DO need to make life liveable.

4. Isaac is headed back to school and the school cafeteria is shut down, so he's taking his own lunch again for the first time in years. I take my own lunch to work, but that's with a fridge and microwave, and he wants things he can just carry around all morning. Any brilliant lunch ideas?

5. I completely loved the movie A-Team. It's so much fun and fairly clean, and I didn't even watch the show as a kid so it's not nostalgic. It's the 2010 Startrek for me - a fully entertaining and enjoyable movie that I can recommend to the general public. :)

6. Successful recipes recently include:
Indian Butter Chicken
Chocolate Pecan Pie
Baked Teriyaki Chicken

7. My family is headed back overseas - actually half of them are already over there. They arrive in the midst of crazy raining and flooding and of course the usual political instability. Having your family overseas without you is very different than being overseas with your family... you worry far more when you're not with them. This time around I'm doing great, maybe because I know they'll all be back for Christmas to meet this baby!

4 comments:

CM said...

Pregnancy belly is very beautiful! :) I have to agree about the prisons. I'm not all for convicted felons having all the comforts, but in Texas, it's more than a simple comfort.

The Bald Guy said...

Fruits, salads and yogurt, that's what I'd do for lunch if I didn't have a Microwave and a refrigerator.

The Bald Guy said...

Pregnant women do look gorgeous. Honestly.

Rach said...

I'm sure you are an adorable pregnant women. You should post some belly pics on facebook.

I'm not sure how I feel about the prison issue.....we're living through a HOT summer in Chicago now mostly without air....not Texas, but still hot. And sometimes very uncomfortable. But that being said, it's amazing what you can do with the right ventilation and fans blowing right on you. I hope the prisoners are allowed fans!