Monday, September 20, 2010

Life on the water and six year olds catching dinner...

My brother and sister-in-law just got back from a trip to where we grew up in Indonesia, and they totally made my day when they posted their photos on facebook. I got such a kick out of some, and others made me catch my breath at the beauty.

For instance.... they stopped off at a little remote "dive resort" that tries to authentically provide super simple accommodations and the ability to fish, snorkel, and enjoy some of the best diving in the world. It's in the middle of nowhere, and their photos were incredible. Check this out:

From papua

The little huts offer bare-bones accommodations right over the water.

From papua

From papua

How cool is this?

From papua

I said it looks like it's truly out of a dream sequence. Plus, Papuan sunsets are gorgeous... and this way you get to enjoy a perfect view...

From papua

I loved this story that my sister-in-law told. They went snorkeling around this gorgeous dock... isn't the water amazing?

From papua

See the little girl on the left? They said she was fishing off the dock the whole time they were snorkeling with just a water bottle, line, and a safety pin:

From papua

Turns out it worked for her, she was catching!

From papua

This was my sister-in-law's commentary on the photo below: "She would jig, hand over hand pull up the line, and swing the fish (still on the line) over her head and slam it on the dock over and over again until it was dead. Then she pull out a knife as long as her leg and proceeded to cut off its head and gut it."

From papua
Geez.... that is amazing in so many ways. It's amazing that she's six and adept at catching dinner. It's amazing she's totally willing to do the dirty-work that us grown women dislike. It's amazing she COULD catch just off a dock with other people swimming around, and it's amazing how beautiful it all is!

5 comments:

CM said...

Those pictures are stunning!

junglewife said...

Is that Sorong/Dive Islands? I've never been there but I've heard it's amazing. Thanks for passing along the pictures!

Kacie said...

Yep, Sorong! I've never been either, so I loved seeing the photos. It looks beautiful! I love the simplicity of it, and the fact that the decor is true to Papua.

Jaimie said...

That IS amazing. It would be awesome to spend a few days there. Ughhh, I've been bitten by the travel bug this week and these pictures are not helping! Thanks for sharing. :)

Bethany said...

Wow, what a gorgeous place and an amazing little girl! How cool that she has the ability to do all of that :)