Saturday, September 11, 2010

Quirky things about growing up overseas...

Well, it has been quite a week. When I was up at 3:30 am last night, unable to sleep (very unlike me) I wrote an angsty post all about it. And then I took it down five minutes later. And now I feel so much better after having slept, been treated to coffee by our barista friend at Starbucks, and ticked a few things off my to-do list.

And you know, I just read this post and it cracked me up as well as creeped me out... imagine living in a snake infestation. You never know what will happen when you live in Indonesia! This is must read: http://theforneyflyer.blogspot.com/2010/09/evening-market-and-snakes.html

It reminds me of so many quirky things about living overseas, really.

Like, for instance, as I write the Shrek version of Livin' La Vida Loca is playing on TV, and that song will always remind me of a family vacation when we visited a nice hotel that was completely empty because the international flight route that had given the small island of Biak business for so many years had been rerouted. We had dinner alone in the big hotel dining room every night, with the whole hotel staff waiting on our little family. We bought the brand new Ricky Martin cd that vacation, and brought it to the hotel dining room, where they played it when we ate and the waiters loved it.



WWII Grenade
Or say... when my brother went to a friend's house and went digging around in their garden. He found a piece of old metal... .which turned out to be.... a WWII hand grenade. It was unexploded, pin still in it. The town we lived in was MacArther's base for a while. My brother thought it was cool and brought it home, where my dad kinda freaked out and made Caleb put it outside the house. Dad knew enough to know an old hand grenade could be dangerous, so he put it in a shoe box padded with a towel and brought it to some guys who used to be in the military to ask them what they thought he should do about it. They saw it and freaked, saying they had a friend who'd had his leg blown off by a similar hand grenade. So... we took a parting photo of my proud brother and his super cool hand grenade before handing it off to the Indonesian military, who exploded it by shooting at it on the gun range.



Or say... how every now and then a smell would begin to emanate from our toaster when we made breakfast in the morning. It would then by my dad's task to clean out the toaster, where inevitably one of the ever-present ceecuk lizards would have hidden and been fried.
The lizard who lives in the toaster.


Or the way I grew up without AC in incredible heat and humidity, and my siblings and I just chose to sleep on the floor, where the cool tile was much more refreshing than our nasty mattresses. I don't think I started sleeping on actual beds until we moved back to the US for a year when I was in third grade.

The Indonesian Sofa

3 comments:

Jaimie said...

Those of us subscribed to your RSS feed were treated to your post anyway. :P I had a comment, but I can't remember what it was. Oh yeah, it was about how I don't know a thing about football. Most of my friends don't. We all feel stupid during those conversations.

That grenade story is incredible.

junglewife said...

I read that snake post too. Ewww. I love reading about your quirky things. Share all you like!

CM said...

A grenade in the garden... that's pretty scary, really!