Thursday, November 18, 2010

Two weeks till d-day

It's about two weeks till my due date... and a couple of days. In my head it's two weeks. Actually in my head it's one week. :)

This is what my very favorite snarky online pregnancy calendar has to say about this stage:

Your Baby:

* Is officially a little chunkin, at well over six pounds and 19 1/2 inches long.
* Is also officially considered “full term.” In other words, he or she is STRAIGHT UP FREELOADING from here on out.
* Is practicing making fists and fetal breathing in anticipation of life outside the womb.


You:

* Have probably had enough of this magical special time, thank you very much.
* Backaches, joint aches, heartburn, indigestion, constipation, Braxton-Hicks contractions, painful kicks, bladder pressure, stretch marks, itchy skin, swollen ankles, fatigue, dry mouth, mood swings, did I miss anything else in this cavalcade of late-pregnancy hilarity?
* Are alternating between crazy excitement about finally meeting your baby and crazy panic about oh my God, you’re finally going to meet your baby and they’re going to expect that you take it home and like, keep it alive and stuff.

I mostly line up with what she says there... except really my complaints aren't quite so bad. I'm mostly just uncomfortable. And ready.

The pregnancy has sorta been like this for me:

First few months:
Completely clueless that I'm pregnant. Suspicious that I'm pregnant. Confirm that I'm pregnant, go through shock, awe, excitement, and then what-the-crap-my-body-is-suddenly-doing-feeling-and-reacting-to-everything-differently.

I didn't get really sick, but suddenly having eating/sleeping/digesting be totally thrown off after years of knowing exactly how my body works was really weird.The change was just unpleasant because I didn't know how to respond. Essentially, you can't respond. You just go through it.

Next couple months: 
I'm down with pregnancy. This is easy. In fact, I'm practically not pregnant. I don't feel or look much different, really. Strange to be having this life-changing thing happening and not have anything really ... changing.

Next few months: 
I'm blooming. I've got a baby bump, people tell me I'm glowing and adorable, I feel great except a little hip and pelvis pain that I learn to ignore completely. I have energy, excitement, and feel so loved by all the baby showers and caring friends. Baby movement is thrilling, hiccups are adorable, we talk baby talk and get all sappy about how beautiful it is to grow our child. We are blissfully far away from sleepless nights and emotional exhaustion. We take childbirth classes and read books to prepare for things you can't really prepare for.

Last month:
Hello, child, you officially do no really fit in my belly anymore. You are uncomfortable, I am uncomfortable, it is difficult to walk up stairs, turn over at night, put on shoes, and basically live life. All energy and focus turns toward the impending arrival, which could be close or far away, you never know, and the anticipation is immense. Every ache and pain is a potential contraction, and I feel more like a blimp than an adorable pregnant woman.

And that's where we're at today, folks. 

3 comments:

Rach said...

You did a good job describing the last month! It's hard to focus on much else when baby could be here ANY TIME. Or maybe he'll wait longer than expected? Who knows? I didn't particularly enjoy the uncertainty...but it's awesome to know that no matter what, he'll be here before too long!

cclarebear said...

<3

Bob said...

Yay, it's almost here!! We're so excited for you... and still rooting for the name Judah :) In case you get just sick of pregnancy, and want to induce labor, here's a link to some labor-inducing techniques: http://www.nurturedmoms.com/natural-induction/