Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Naming my son...

My son's name is Judah. Since I've known Isaac he's wanted to name his sons from the names of the sons of Joseph. I love the name Judah, and I also love Levi and Asher, but Isaac really wanted Judah for his first son since Judah is the leader of the 12 tribes. It used to be a pretty unique name, and most people still say they've never heard it before, and a lot of people who even grew up in the church just can't place where the name comes from in the Bible. However, among evangelicals the name is exploding in popularity... I have four friends with baby Judah's...

Like I said, I love the name Judah. However, when you put Judah with our last name you come up with a nickname that is pretty obviously funny, so I held off for ages before giving in and saying I'd be okay with naming our son Judah. I don't usually use our last name on here so I can't fully explain that, but just take my word for it when I say that I still wonder if I'll regret that decision!

On the other hand, I absolutely love some things about naming the little guy Judah. Isaac read the passage in which Joseph blesses all of his sons, and in Hebrew he actually calls Judah his "lion cub". This is completely adorable and we've taken to using the same Hebrew phrase, which in English sounds like gur aryeh yehuda. Our little lion cub. It fits him. The past week or so he's become some much more vocal, and he sounds like a lion cub... little grunts and growls like a little cub or puppy... it's adorable and hilarious.

I love that Judah, as the leader brother and the leading tribe, is the one through whom Jesus is to come, and that Jesus is called the "lion of the tribe of Judah". I hope that the picture of a lion fits my son - that he is bold and courageous. I hope it fits Judah like Isaac's name fits Isaac - he absolutely is filled with "laughter".

Of course, every infant is nicknamed everything under the son. I find myself using all the nicknames my mom used when we were little - Peanut, Buster Brown, sweetheart, etc. My mom calls him "little prince". I'm sure there's many more to come!

4 comments:

Jaimie said...

Hahahaha, I never thought of that last name thing before. That is priceless. It's nothing regrettable, but it WILL get a lot of smiles, I think. Which is cool.

Amy B. said...

First, did I tell you that my nephew and his wife had a baby 3 weeks before my J Bird was born, and that his name is Judah? And they call him that nickname that is created by your last name. When I said your baby's full name, and I realized it, I laughed out loud. But I wasn't laughing AT his name...I love it and I don't think you will regret it. :o)

Secondly, I hardly ever call my son by his name. Like you, I am always calling him a million and one different nicknames - including Buster Brown!!!

Rae said...

I'm not so sure about Naphtali or Gad, but Judah is a great name! I don't typically care how many children other people have, let alone how many of either sex, but I am now officially hoping that you will have no more than 8 sons. ;-)

Which is all to say that I'm glad you shared your naming process. And the lion cub nickname is adorable.

Kacie said...

hah... Rae, Isaac keeps joking about using all the tribe names, but I keep telling him that is NOT the plan. :)