Monday, January 31, 2011

What Billy Graham would do differently...

Christianity Today asked Billy Graham in a recent interview what he would do differently if he could do it over again.

I'd spend more time at home with my family, and I'd study more and preach less. I wouldn't have taken so many speaking engagements, including some of the things I did over the years that I probably didn't really need to do—weddings and funerals and building dedications, things like that.

Seems like everyone says they'd spend more time with their families. Ironic to read that on the first day I found it hard to be at work and away from my baby. I just put Judah down from spending 30 minutes with him sleeping in my arms, with his head nestled under my chin, his little sighs felt against my heart. Billy's other response, that he'd study more and preach less... that I find interesting. I'm currently around a bunch of guys that act as though studying is a waste of time by overly intellectual Westerners, and we've got to just get out and preach. Billy's perspective that more study would have been beneficial is really interesting.

In any case, CT also asked Billy what he thinks the most pressing issues are in Evangelicalism today. His answer?
...The most important issue we face today is the same the church has faced in every century: Will we reach our world for Christ? In other words, will we give priority to Christ's command to go into all the world and preach the gospel? Or will we turn increasingly inward, caught up in our own internal affairs or controversies, or simply becoming more and more comfortable with the status quo? Will we become inner-directed or outer-directed? The central issues of our time aren't economic or political or social, important as these are. The central issues of our time are moral and spiritual in nature, and our calling is to declare Christ's forgiveness and hope and transforming power to a world that does not know him or follow him. May we never forget this.

No comments: