Monday, February 21, 2011

Weekend at a retreat

Today I left work and sped to FedEx, where I put the project I've been working overtime on for the past two weeks was put in the box for the last mail drop. I feel great relief and a sense of accomplishments.

I came home to a proud husband who figured out how healthy and easy to make stir-fry is, and a baby that was wiggling happily on his play mat.

Now I sit watching him fall asleep in his bounder next to me. He's spit out his paci and is batting those big blue peepers at me with an adorable little smile on his face. I love how when he drifts off and suddenly stirs awake again and opens up those eyes and sees me - he automatically smiles with content. He knows he's safe. He knows he's with someone he loves.

I spent the weekend at a student ministries retreat. It's the biggest youth event of the year at my church, so I knew I just had to go. I was also dreading it, because how do you do these things with an infant? I know stay-at-home moms can get a babysitter or leave the kid with the hubby, but that's what I do during the week and I need the weekend for feeding him myself. So... I decided to go to events in the daytime with the little man, and Isaac would come up and watch him in the evening while enjoying the free wi-fi and coffee from the church.

It was okay! I treasure the times when I really get to hear from the hearts of my girls, and that happened a little this weekend. We had a new girl placed in our group as well, and although she admitted that I have a janky old car and her first thought was that I was crazy to bring a baby to a retreat like this, by the end of the retreat she and I had spent hours talking and she was loathe to let Judah out of her site. I'm so glad we got the time together that we did, and I think we'll see each other again.

AND... and we played Bigger and Better, otherwise known as the Paperclip game. Each small group was given a paperclip. That paperclip is to be traded with someone for something, and you can trade that something for something else... etc. Always with the intent of trading for something bigger and better. Can't be cash, can't be from your own family.

Well... my group sometimes lost sight of the "bigger and better" concept, but we ended up with a shower radio/cd player. That's a lot better than a paper clip, right? Well, we were NOTHING compared to some other groups. There was a huge statue of the Grinch, some antique chairs, a treadmill, bikes, a tennis set, a big screen TV, a washer/dryer, an arcade game, premium seats to a Dallas stars game, and... a dog! An adorable dog that some small group leader now owns.

Crazy, right?
Craziest of all was this:

This is me with Tom Landry's Super Bowl XII trophy. No l... on Twitpic

That would be the Junior High youth leader holding Tom Landry's Super Bowl XII trophy... seriously. The real one.

The guy leaders nearly had heart attacks until it was revealed that it was just a loaner, not a real trade. STILL... everyone was getting photos with it.

So. The work project is over. The weekend retreat is over. The baby is asleep? What do I want to do?

Hmm... sleep... or taxes? *ponders*

1 comment:

Rach said...

"I love how when he drifts off and suddenly stirs awake again and opens up those eyes and sees me - he automatically smiles with content. He knows he's safe. He knows he's with someone he loves."

This is the BEST. Love those moments. Bigger and Better sounds like an awesome game...glad the weekend worked out for you and Judah!