Thursday, March 10, 2011

So I've read some fantastic books recently...

Somehow I've had less and less patience for TV and movies... too many things to do, too hard to focus. However, post-birth in those times when I'm feeding Judah or trying to fall asleep or catching a moment here or there, I've found myself reading and have made it through a surprising amount of books and magazines considering how busy I've been. Here's a few of my recent reads...


Half of a yellow sunHalf of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

A friend whose tastes I respect told me that she always loves the National Book award winners, so I took a peek at that list and have been reading a few of them. This one was a National Book Critics finalist, and it complemented my recent fixation international historical fiction. This one opened up a period in history I knew nothing about - the Nigerian-Biafran war. I'd never even heard of it, and this book brought to life the intense struggle between tribe and religion and country that was and is happening all across Africa. And... it's done through the lens of some very compelling characters.



Where the Heart Is by Billie LettsWhere the Heart Is by Billie Letts 

This was probably my favorite of all the books I've read, and that came as a total surprise. What a lame cover, right? And a lame title. I'd had the book on my shelf for a while, totally unmotivated to read it because it looked so Christian fictiony. On the contrary, though, I loved the book. It's the story of a pregnant girl that gets stranded by her then-boyfriend in a small town in the middle of nowhere. The people she encounters in the town are quirky, flawed, and compelling characters. The story of the town and the people and the girl is woven together beautifully, and really is a beautifully redemptive story that I would say IS Christian though it probably isn't necessarily meant to be. I love stories like that. 5/5 on this one!


The Marriage Bureau for Rich People by Farahad Zama

Another international fiction, but this one was feel-good and had a good bit of humor thrown in. It's about an Indian man and his wife that open up a matchmaking service. It's both cute and often surprising to me as a Westerner to watch the tales of the various clients and matches made, because it's all so far from the way we do marriage over here! There is a sweet love story woven into the middle of it all as well.



the-chosen-oneThe Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams
This book was more of a young-adult book and wasn't very sophisticated writing, but the story was the story was such that sucks you in so that you can't stop reading until you've finished the whole book. It was about a young girl in a fundamentalist Mormon cult and her struggles with her arranged marriage that end up causing chaos in her family, her relationships, the entire commune, etc. Because I've read a good bit in the past few years about Mormon Fundamentalists, the story felt sort of real to me and I really did get completely sucked in and felt like I was holding my breath through the whole last few chapters.



And... I've also been reading a book about the sleep patterns of babies and another one about women in the church. I'll have a review of the one about women on my other blog when I finish it - it's the first book that I've been asked to review by a publisher. u

So - any recent favorites from ya'll?

5 comments:

Jaimie said...

I blogged about this recently, but I have a new favorite in my top 5. Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. However, I think liking (1) Jane Austen and (2) fantasy classics (like Lewis, Tolkien, Rowling) is a requirement for loving this book. And dang, I loved it.

Kacie said...

Well, I like both of those... so I'll add it to my paperbackswap.com wishlist.

Jaimie said...

Sweet!

Emily said...

I LOVED Where the Heart Is, and I agree that it belies its title and cover :-)

Have you read The Help? Loved it.

Kacie said...

I did read The Help and I loved it. I was a little late on the bandwagon just because... it was a bandwagon. :)