Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Four interesting Posts...

Emerging Mummy wrote a post about self-image... and kids. The story is beautiful, go read it. This struck me, especially as a new mom.: 
I battled for years with evil songs set on repeat that sang into my ears "You're fat and ugly...if only you were skinnier....if only you were prettier....if only you weren't so fat...you're disgusting...."

When I gave birth to our daughter, my husband kindly asked me to not say those things in front of her. He didn't want her to grow up hearing her mother say these things about herself, teaching her to be so critical of her own self. He didn't want her hearing words like "I need to go on a diet" and "I'd be pretty if only I'd lose the weight" or "My breasts are just too big" or "I'm so ugly." Which meant that even if I thought it, even if I needed to articulate it later to him or to a friend, could I please just not say it in front of her?

For three years now, I have watched my tongue. I have - even at the heights of pregnancy and high blood pressure induced swelling - managed to keep my songs on a low level of volume. When I sing along, it's quietly and out of earshot.

I do not want her to ever feel that her body, her self, is anything less than just as God intended. She'll have her own battles to wage. And I don't want to send her into battle, already distracted by her mother's songs in her own ears.
Rachel Held Evans wrote a post about submission, and to be honest it was the best post I've read on the issue. I stay away from talk of women's roles and submission, because I do not understand it, it makes me emotional, and it's so... directly related to my identity. This post, though, describes exactly how Isaac and I have worked it, and what I thought as I studied the "submission" passages last year. Read it here, but below are a few thoughts

Didn’t Paul instruct Christians to submit to one another?
I don’t submit to Dan because he is a man and I am a woman. I submit to him because I love him, because I deeply respect him, and because I made a promise to put his needs before my own.  I would hope that he would find that more meaningful than if I submitted to him simply because it was my “place.”
...I suspect that both egalitarians and complementarians would agree that an attitude of humility is necessary for true, heartfelt submission.  We are to imitate Christ, who “although he existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant…” (Philippians 2). 
The essence of submission, then, is not the absence of power but the voluntary relinquishing of it. 
It’s not about sticking to a prescribed hierarchy; it’s about walking in humility. 
Dan and I are equals. But for our marriage to thrive, we both have to relinquish our power now and then.  Sometimes I submit to Dan, sometimes he submits to me.   Sometimes submission is easy, sometimes it’s hard. 
But I can only be responsible for my actions.  It’s not my job to try and force “mutual submission;” it’s my job to humbly submit.…which may mean watching “Mad Max” instead of “Persepolis” on Netflix Instant Play (not that I’m holding any grudges about that one).


I wish I could send out mass email to college girls everywhere reminding them that if Christ is our example of leadership, then what they should be looking for are men who are servants. It matters not whether a guy likes to take charge or work behind the scenes or whether his prayer time lasts longer than yours. What matters is that he is willing to put other people’s needs before his own.

Kristie wrote a post about working in Student Ministries... and man... I echo it (except that I am married, have a baby, and am not a stay-at-home mom)! 
I'm 28. I want to meet the boy, fall in love, get engaged, plan a wedding, and get married. I want to have babies, be a stay-at-home mom, and have my days dictated by play dates, feeding schedules, and naptimes.

I don't, however, want those babies to grow up to be teenagers.

That's what serving in student ministries has taught me.
 Mason wrote a Confession of a Former Homophobe.  I echo a lot of his words too.


Do I think I have all the answers to these tough questions of sexuality? No, not anymore. That’s not the point of this post, I have no interest in playing that game on my blog or in my day-to-day life. Easy answers and quick condemnations haven’t gotten us anywhere.

Yes the Bible has things to say about our sexuality, yes we need to take what it says seriously, and yes those things might require a more thoughtful interpretation than we’ve often assumed.
But amid all the questions of hermeneutics and exegesis, one thing I’m sure of is this; we as followers of Jesus are called to love and the way I acted towards the GLBT community was anything but loving.
For that I’m sorry.

 And... the Pew Research Center put together a Political Typeology quiz. It's just a few questions, you can be done with it in 5-10 minutes. Take it. I was grouped as Post-Modern, however I'd say changing just an answer or two would have put me in the New Coalition Democrat bucket. This is what they had to say about Post-Moderns. 

Post-Moderns

13% of the public
What They Believe
  • Generally supportive of government, though more conservative on race policies and the safety net
  • Strongly supportive of regulation and environmental protection
  • Most (56%) say Wall Street helps the economy more than it hurts
  • Very liberal on social issues, including same-sex marriage
  • One of the least religious groups: nearly a third are unaffiliated with any religious tradition
  • Favor the use of diplomacy rather than force
Who They Are
  • The youngest of the typology groups: 32% under age 30
  • A majority are non-Hispanic white and have at least some college experience
  • Half live in either the Northeast or the West
  • A majority (58%) live in the suburbs
  • 63% use social networking
  • One-in-five regularly listen to NPR; 14% regularly watch The Daily Show
Interesting that I am a very "religious" person in the most nonreligious group. I am living in the South but my group is mostly in the Northeast or West.  I live in the city instead of the burbs. However, I definitely do use social networking, listen to NPR, and watch the Daily Show.

6 comments:

Jaimie said...

I made Post-Modern too!

Stephanie said...

Lol I got solid liberal...I'm kind of confused. :)

Bob said...

Can you guess where I landed? Hey, my wife took the quiz and landed as a New Coalition Democrat :)

Bob said...

Re: Submission - I liked that post on submission. As I recall the most-oft quoted passage about submission, Ephesians 5, begins with, "Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ."

Re: Homophobia - Good thoughts. Christians have a history of being unloving/uncaring to homosexuals, which is totally contrary to the Bible. We need to speak the truth, yes, but we need to speak the truth IN LOVE.

Mason said...

Thanks for the link!
I took that quiz too, and ended up solidly liberal. I thought that was funny because my answers were quite mixed except for social and justice issues.

matchingmoonheads said...

just wanted to chime in to say that was the most polarizing quiz i have ever taken. i don't know if i felt comfortable checking a box for more than like, 3 of those questions. wow.