Monday, August 29, 2011

In years past - snippets of six years of blogs on this day

Since Isaac started classes today, it was a quiet evening at home after I put Judah to bed. I was browsing the internet and thinking about where we're at now and I got the urge to look back at the things I've written on this day (or close to this day) in years past. It's fascinating.

2010 - pregnant
I've been driving without an AC all summer - sweating it out and attempting to plan and strategize for the fastest way to get from place to place, always parking in the shade if at all possible, and nearly dying when I was caught in traffic and left sweltering. Yesterday my current boss mentioned that it's been the hottest summer in Dallas that he's experienced since he moved here in 1981, that's before I was born! Just my luck that the heat wave arrives the summer I am here and without AC and pregnant.
Okay, so this summer has been FAR worse. Sad day. BUT, I have AC. Happy day.

2009 - newly living with roommates
Isaac started seminary again this week, and his stress level is sky-high. Last week before school started he cooked dinner one night (that never happens). As I was dishing my food up he went and settled in his easy chair, clearly very pleased with himself, and said, "Man, it sure is nice to see me contributing more around here." Hah! 


2008:
We are in deep Texas summer. August is to Texas what February is to Chicago. My first year in Chicago I never complained about the cold. It was a wonderful change. Yes, it was brutal, but it didn't bother me. After six years of it, I thought I was going to die if I had to suffer through another winter.  I expect that after a few more years here, I'll be dying to go to a more temperate region!
That is true. I am dying to get away from the heat. 

Tonight Isaac and I went on a date to my favorite area of Dallas. We hit up an amazing Chinese spot - and I don't usually even like Chinese! I suppose that's because most Chinese I've had in the US is fast-food and Americanized, and barely goes beyond orange chicken (with very little chicken underneath the orange). This place rocked, and afterwards we stopped next door and picked up a Hong-Kong style milk tea with bubbles, which pretty makes me the happiest woman alive tonight.
Weird. We just went to the same bubble tea place a couple days ago.And now I feel like I do actually know what good Chinese food tastes like. 

What am I still doing in the US? I know what I'm doing here. We're gettin' educated.  And I'm ok with that. I guess it just scares me, to realize that I've been in this country now for seven years. And I've got three more to go. It scares me because I think I might get stuck. What we're doing now is to equip us, but once that's finished, we're off! Out into the wide world and away from the expectations of settling down to a white-picket fence. I don't want a fence. I don't want to own a house. I don't want to own a set of china or spend my life growing a retirement fund. If I were to do that, I think I could be comfortable, but also empty.
So we gotta get out of here. Out of the American life. Exploring a new place. Confronting the rawness and discomfort that is life in the third world.
Indeed. I mostly still echo this, except perhaps with less bitterness towards America.

2007 - new to Dallas:
The guys I work for have deeply impressed me. Their approach to faith, to work, to relationships... it's all so refreshing. One guy has a degree in law, knows some Indonesian, left the mission field with a deteriorating neurological disease, and has Dostoevsky, Sartre, Nietzsche, and many others on his shelf. Yay for intelligent people. Funny. Same guy just led my meeting today. Still highly respect these guys. 

.... I told Isaac how I didn’t like Dallas and I was lonely and ended up in tears…. And after both venting we felt a lot better and went to work out and afterwards were inspired and jumped into the pool outside the workout room fully clothed. Funny again. We're back in the same complex, swimming in the same pool every other day.

Living with laundry, a trash disposal, a dishwasher, a workout room, and a pool  all at our fingertips makes daily life much more simple then Chi-town. This apartment is the best part of life here so far. 2nd time around, I still love this complex. :)

2006 - working in Chicago
I am not a salesperson, so I can't relate to how sales driven this company is. I have no objection to our profit margin decreasing. In my mind that's helping the consumer, and this company is not in dire need of a profit. The emphasis on making more money is completely alien to my nature. I long to see that I'm touching someones' life, that I've had a true heart-to-heart interaction with someone. It's the counseling influence in my life - I feel like the value of a person totally sinks in this atmosphere. Interesting. I am not working a "counseling" position at all, but feel very fitted to my current administrative role. 

Photo from August '06 blog post - me and co-workers helping run a massive catering event in which Elton John and a million dollar fireworks show was the entertainment.



2005 - Newly graduated, newly married
Dr. Easley talked about the Church being Christ's presence here, and that's where we take refuge.I don't know, it just was bugging me, the subject of the church. Christianity, yeah. Individual faith, yeah. Friendships, yeah. But you know what, as for a local church, I don't know that I've ever felt like that was my refuge. Wish I had a community of faith to guide me. Wow, in this area I have been transformed. My idea of what the "church" is and why it is important has been formed in a huge way, and I DO feel like I have a community of faith that has guided and pushed me.

(Venting after a co-worker told me the honeymoon stage would pass and I would learn to resent my marriage): ...marriage is a responsibility not weighted by feelings. You are not sweet to your wife/husband because you feel romantic, you are RESPONSIBLE to be sweet to them regardless of your feelings or their response. Therefore when the honeymoon stage passes, you can't stop caring. You vowed a heck of a lot in that ceremony, you are responsible to follow through with that for life. I feel too young to have a leg to stand on when I preach my views on dating, romance, and marriage, and yet they are STRONG.
Preach it, self. You didn't have a leg to stand on, but six years later I still believe and preach the same thing.And, FYI, you married a pretty great guy.

10 comments:

Jaimie said...

Interesting. I was just having a conversation with my cousin about how I didn't really believe in the local church. It's good for some people, but I don't see it as important at all in my life. Maybe in 5 years I will be at a different place too.

Kacie said...

Well, that's what I was saying back in that post, and it's totally what I felt post-college, so I get what you're saying. I was transformed first by being so frustrated that I searched the NT to see what it said about "church", and then reading The Mission of God.

Now I feel like our tendency to not believe in the local church is such a Western individualistic thing. We think we can do spirituality alone, but nowhere does scripture ever say that - it's always in the context of a body of believers.

Then again, that's easy to say when I'm in the context of a pretty great body of believers. It'd be hard if I felt like I was in a church I didn't like surrounded by people I didn't really know.

Bry said...

So interesting to read your post from '08 about not settling in in the States. I find it hilarious that MKs/TCKs think so much alike, regardless of "home" country or adopted country. I said the same things during my undergrad degree and the first year we were married... but Brice and I had an understanding when we got married that we were taking the first opportunity to get out. And I honestly applaud you for surviving (and thriving) so long in the US. You are a stronger individual than I am.
I still tell Brice frequently that I never want to own a house....

Kacie said...

So true, Bry. I am amazed by those tcks that do settle happily into normal American life. It baffles me.

Jaimie said...

I think of the "church" more as my friends that are Christians and my family. I have Christian back-up. That's what the Bible is talking about (in a sense).

Hannah said...

Your 2007 post is something I definitely relate to! I'm always crying to Andrew about how after a year here I haven't found friends quite like the ones I left behind in Scotland! AND I miss Asia!! :( You seem to have settled in well though, so it gives me hope!

Isaac said...

Oh... a PRETTY good guy? Geez, don't lay it on too thick!

Anders Branderud said...

Kacie,
Hello!
My name is Anders and I found your blog today.
You wrote: “Dr. Easley talked about the Church being Christ's presence here, and that's where we take refuge.”

I would like to comment on this. I write this only to be helpful!

The historical Rabbi called Y’hoshua was the Jewish Messiah. He grew up in Galilee and lived in the first century. His name was later changed by Christians to “Jesus”. Did you know that many words that are attributed to him was not said by him - including much of the content in the “gospels”, but was redacted by Hellenists: Documentation: Link? I write you this since you rely on NT, which was never endorsed by the followers of Rabbi Y’hoshua. On the contrary they didn’t accept it, since it contradicts Torah [the books of Moses]. [Documentation on the above link.]

According to the Messianic prophecies of the Hebrew Bible (which Christians call the “Old Testament”), the Jewish Messiah would be a human, i.e. not a “divine christ”/ “man-god saviour”. I was a devoted Christian before and when I realized this, it completely changed my life.

Following the human Jewish Messiah called Y’hoshua leads oneself into non-selectively observance of the commandments of Moses to ones utmost, including an immensely meaningful relationship with the Creator.

Kind regards,
Anders Branderud

Kacie said...

Anders, thanks for your comment. I do know that Jesus' name is Y'hoshua, a Jewish man from Galilee in the 1st century. Jesus is merely an English version of the name. I don't, however, agree with your comment about the gospels being written by Hellenists. Have you studied much of the New Testament textual criticism? That is my husband's area of study right now.

It's true - the prophecies of the Torah and how it relates to Y'hoshua and what I would say the continued revelation of God in Him is a thing of debate. I think textual criticism does show, though, that the followers of Rabbi Y'hoshua did write the New Testament and so believed all of its claims.

If you'd like to discuss that, I could happily put you in touch with my husband, who loves a good discussion on all of these things.

Anders Branderud said...

Hello Kacie!

You wrote: "Have you studied much of the New Testament textual criticism?"

I have studied some.

Did you read the reference which I provided you about the NT?

www.netzarim.co.il ; Glossaries; NT

I have studied the Hebrew Bible alot in Hebrew; and thus know what the Jewish Messiah was prophecied to teach; and I find inconsistencies between the Messianic prophecies and the NT.. I discuss this e.g. in this blog post: Link

I also love to discuss these issues with persons; and would be happy if you show my posts to your husband - and he can reply me by e-mail (click on my name for contact info)...

Have a great day!

/Anders