Friday, September 30, 2011

What I'm Into This Month - September 2011


What I Am Into This Month -September 2011
1. On My Nightstand:
Too Small to Ignore: Wes Stafford
The Road Less Traveled – M. Scott Peck
When Helping Hurts

Portada Sherlock Holmes2. Want to Read: everything. Seriously. I have WAY too much Iwant to read.I am starting a book club and will be reading One Thousand Gifts by Voskamp.

3. T.V. Worth Watching:
Husband has hooked me into Castle and we are almost finished with FridayNight Lights *sniff*. Watched the BBC drama Sherlock this summer and thoroughlyenjoyed it, but there definitely needs to be more where that came from!

4. Movie I've Seen: Umm… I haven’t watched many moviesrecently. One thing I miss doing since Judah’s been born is movie watching.

Caprese sandwich5. In My Kitchen: There's not a lot of creativity in our kitchen while we juggle school/work/baby, but ever since I made fancy egg salad sandwiches with avocado, Isaac has grown obsessed with egg salad. He seriously eats it at least three times a week. I have discovered fresh mozzarella for the first time and have been eating caprese sandwiches. Nice thick slices of tomato and fresh mozzarella on crusty bread, a little balsamic vinaigrette drizzled over top, lightly toasted? mmmmmm...


6. In My Ears: 
1) Mumford & Sons
2) Adele
3) Josh Garrells
(would love the new Gungor cd but... don't own it yet)


7. Bloggy Items of Note/New Blog Reads:
  • Rachel Held Evans tweeted a link to thisblog about how different Christian denominations perceive each other - inpictures. It made me laugh out loud several times. By the way, Rachel happened to be on NPR last week while I was driving to the grocery store!
  •  Los is one of the funniest tweeters/bloggers I follow, he seems to be many things but among them is a worship leader. What I love most, though, is his family. His family videos crack.me.up.

  • Dang - the Forney Flyer has been posting a series of his trek through part of Kalimantan. On this post he posted a photo of the jungle and a tree, and it's unremarkable until you realize the little red spot at the bottom of the photo is a person. The root is about the same height the person! The tree is MASSIVE.
  • I've heard about Jaimie The Very Worst Missionary for ages, but only just recently subscribed. And just in time for a post slamming the way we use short-term missions trips to teach our own kids. It's great. Go read it.
  • I stumbled onto Carson Clark's blog, Musings of a Hard-lining Moderate and it turns out he's a Moody alum of my own generation. I spent ages last week reading his blog, This post about his faith and theological journey complete with an analysis of the good and bad of Moody was great. I laughed pretty hard at his story of attempting to talk about the gospel with a guy in the ghetto who said, "What the f&*$ are you talking about?" and the homeschooled kid he was with ran away crying, traumatized by his first exposure to the f-word. HILARIOUS and classic and sad. Carson recently joined the Anglican church, and his blogs are well reasoned and blunt without being demeaning.

  • I absolutely loved this article from Jon Foreman in the Huffington Post.Like... haven't been able to stop thinking about it since, particularly in the context of the death of my friend's father in a plane crash on the mission field. The reality of death makes me ponder how to live life. And so ... I quote extensively:

Which is to say that you are the art. Your words, your haircut, your clothes, your actions -- these display your unique blend of past and present, desire and lack thereof, insecurity and purpose. You are the painting, and everyday you're painting yourself and the world around you.Every moment is a canvas is waiting to come to life....

We are the human race. We are the re-appropriators. But none of us are creating out of nothing. Human creation is always re-appropriation. Trying to put beauty into form.That's what life is. Re-appropriating the scraps we have at hand in an attempt to create something truly magnificent. Crafting timeless beauty out of our own temporal specific circumstances.

You want to know the meaning of life? This is your highest calling: You are called into the dynamic co-creation of the cosmos. This breath is your canvas and your brush. These are the raw materials for your art, for the life you are making. Nothing is off limits. Your backyard, your piano, your paintbrush, your conversation, Rwanda, New Orleans, Iraq, your marriage, your soul. You're making a living with every step you take.When you make a living, you are speaking a new world into existence. You are creating grace within the confines, you are co-signing God's blank checks.
Linking up here: Sorta Crunchy and here: Conversion Diary

3 comments:

suzannah {so much shouting, so much laughter} said...

that sandwich looks amazing. we're big mumford & sons fans in this house, too. everyone talks of how great friday night lights is, but two episodes in and my husband and i just thought it was ok. you think we should press on?

Kacie said...

I'd say it depends on what kind of shows you like and what you specifically hate. Especially in the first two seasons you could tell they were trying to draw in viewers with a few side story lines of trashy teen drama. If that really bothers you, skip it. If you can handle it - the overall story of the town, the Taylor family, and excellent character development is great!

Sarah said...

I love Castle and Sherlock. New Sherlock is coming in the spring! Can't wait. I've heard great things about FNL and we might check it out now that it's on Netflix streaming. My husband and I both used to watch Kyle Chandler in Early Edition way back in the day.

Thanks for the interesting blog links. I've bookmarked some of them to check out (in all my spare time with a little baby...).