Friday, December 2, 2011

Driving Eastern Colorado

"Granny has quit driving: 1995 Grand Prix.... Will consider trade for guns or old tractors."

That's from the High Plans paper that I picked up during our dinner at a diner on our way home from Thanksgiving. Remember when I described our midnight drive in West Texas? Well, that was nothing compared to driving Eastern Colorado. West Texas has tiny podunk towns and scattered ranches and farms. Eastern Colorado has nothing. I mean... to the extent that we'd drive for miles and miles and not see any lights on the horizon. No highway lights, no town lights, no scattered farms or ranches.

There is nothing there.

It was surreal. Through most of Eastern Colorado we hit a grand total of three small towns. None of them had a fast food restaurant. Where we ended up stopping was a town with one diner and a gas pump (not a gas station, mind you, an unmanned gas pump). The entire downtown would look somewhat like this:

Downtown Springfield, Colorado

The type of place where you look to the right and left and see the end of the block and the end of the town. When you did hit a small group of houses here or there, they came with signs like this:

Machine Guns and .50 Cal Shoot

It was culture shock, a bit, to realize just how much of a solid block of land this was that was almost completely uninhabited. What is life like for those who live there?

s35709


Sinclar Station - Eastern Colorado

I'll tell you what did happen in this area. We killed about 200-300 native Americans (that had signed and were abiding by a peace treaty already in place). You can see how much we are really using the land we fought so hard to own and dominate:

Sand Creek (Massacre) Battle Ground of November 29, 1864 - Sand Creek Massacre Historic Site, Colorado

Life in the area was exhibited a little in the paper I read and the people at the diner we stopped at. Cowboy hats, livestock auctions, farm equipment, and church. It made for a fascinating, if rather barren drive home.


From 2011

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

By the way, that was Rachel S....Android gives me comment issues.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your pictures, and was going to comment and tell you what it is like to live in a place like this. I've driven through Eastern Colorado, and I grew up in Eastern Arizona. It looks a lot like this. To me, it's beautiful.

But I was stopped short by your comment about the Indians that "we" killed. You look at America and see hatred, and ugliness. All I wanted to do was share the beauty that I thought you were genuinely wondering about.-Angie Sipe

Kacie said...

I think America is beautiful. Eastern Colorado was desolately, uniquely beautiful.

I don't think that it's appropriate to sweep the atrocity under the rug. I looked up one of the tiny towns we drove through and that's what it's known for - a massive Indian massacre. So, when I write, I tell the truth of what I see. I saw a sparsely populated, beautiful area. I saw a place where Indians were massacred.

Both are true. One does not negate the other.

I think America has hatred and ugliness. It also has beauty. It's important to recognize both. We can't get rid of hatred without first recognizing that it exists and repenting of it.