Friday, April 6, 2012

Josh Garrels and the Sunset




I was just getting ready to put Judah to bed when I walked past our window and gasped. The setting sun had peeked through the rain clouds and shot a beam of late-afternoon yellow onto the tree across from our apartment. It was stunning - a gray background with this super-saturated yellow and green against it.

The leaves flutter lightly and I just watch it all change to gold.


Josh Garrels sings in the background the song that was on when I walked in the door after work today, and it's been on repeat since.

"Tempted and tried, I wondered why..."
"Still, I get hard pressed on every side between a rock and a compromise."
"Truth and a pack of lies fighting for my soul."
 "Where did I go wrong? I sang along to every song that the devil wrote like a piper at the gates".

It's an 'already, not yet' sort of song, filled with both the struggle of today and the glory infused by grace, because despite the fight he describes....oh, oh!

"There's so much more to life than we've been told, it's full of beauty that that will unfold and shine like we struck gold..."
"I've got no place left to go, cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known keeps me rambling on."

And it feels like the voice of God to me and I look up and the brilliant leaves just a silhouette and the sky is illuminated and I am stopped.


And one day when the sky rolls back on us
Some rejoice and the others fuss
Cause every knee must bow and tongue confess
That the Son of God is forever blessed
His is the kingdom, we’re the guests
So put your voice up to the test
Sing Lord, come soon

Yes, is He not the treasure I am looking for in every house of cards? Is it not in Him that I find it, this glory I ache for?



And then, in a moment, it's gone. The sun is down.

1 comment:

Adam Lehman said...

SO GOOD! LOVE Josh's Work!