Wednesday, September 12, 2012

I did the Boot Scootin' Boogie and Cried

This morning at an event we each spent some time individually reflecting on where we were at certain points years ago and what the journey has been like from then to now. For me it was poignant at the 5 year mark when I came here to Dallas and joined the staff at my job. I was at square one again in my faith, I felt like we were utterly alone without friends or community, and I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I was unsure about taking a job among Christians since at that point I wasn't so sure I even liked Christians much.

Southfork Ranch - Entrance
Everything I wrote here two years ago about working in this place still rings true, but even more so. Tonight after staying at work late to get a presentation done with my boss, I drove to Southfork and joined my co-workers for an evening of down-home fare and line dancing. There were cowboy hats and cowboy boots and coleslaw and "yeehaws". We played a couple of funny little games that made me laugh till my sides hurt because our leadership is hilarious, and truly the MC was amazed that we were as wild and slap-happy as we all were without any alcohol being served.

And these are my co-workers? This is the atmosphere I get to work in? Amazing.

And then the dance floor was overflowing as we line-danced and cupid shuffled and Cotton-eyed Joe'd the night away. To me it is beautiful, because line dancing has come to symbolize feeling so completely free and comfortable and alive that I don't have any worries about what people think anymore. Every place I've line-danced has been that way.

Texas April 2011Young, old, we span generations and countries and ethnicity, and some are more coordinated than others (I'm terrible). We hollered and laughed. When they called a slow dance two-step I sat and watched these precious couples from their 20's to their 70's slide across the dance floor. I cried, ya'll. I cried because I love these people, and they feel like home to me.

When I pulled out of the parking lot under the stars, I sobbed.

I'm thankful we moved to this crazy state, not because I love Texas (but it has certainly been an experience, living here!), but because of the people here that have transformed my life.

I'm so thankful that another job didn't come up during the year+ that I had my resume out there. I wondered what God was doing back then. Those years of waiting were worth it for the following years of feeling completely fulfilled and challenged at work.

Boot Scootin' BoogieI'm so thankful for the privilege of having worked withhumble, passionate leaders who have challenged me and shepherded my heart without knowing it. I'm thankful for my friends, the ones that end up in groups just chatting during the down times around here.

This place, these people? They have been a gift.

The emotion is coming because I sense the ending coming, and that's okay. I want to go. I'm ready to go. I'm determined not to live in the past or the future, but today? I am so thankful just for today. This day, this place, and dancing the night away in this sweet community.

And I'm even thankful for a 5am wake-up time for for the meetings in the morning and this busiest work seasong of the year.

Thanks, God, for this.

No comments: