Saturday, October 20, 2012

Dr. de Rosset's recommended Foreign Classic Literature list

I previously went through my college literature professor's recommended reading list in English classic literature and American classic literature.   Today I'm highlighting her Foreign classic literature, and will put what I've read in bold. It would appear I'm a little lacking on this list, but then I would add in works that might not be "classics" but I imagine will be one day: A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry, Wild Swans by June Chang, and anything by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. There. Now I feel more cultured. And I just got Madame Bovary in the mail this week and hope to read it soon.

Would you all add anything to the list?

Full List: Dr. de Rosset's recommended book list

FOREIGN CLASSIC LITERATURE (WORLD LITERATURE)
Camus, Albert. The Plague; The Stranger (French)
Cervantes, Miguel de. Don Quixote (Spanish)
Dante. The Inferno* (Italian)
Dumas, Alexander. The Count of Monte Cristo; The Three Musketeers (French)
Flaubert, Gustave. Madame Bovary (French)
Frank, Anne. Diary of a Young Girl (Dutch)
Homer. The Iliad; The Odyssey (Greek)
Hugo, Victor. Hunchback of Notre Dame; Les Miserables (French)
Ibsen. The Doll’s House/An Enemv of the People (dramatic) (Scandinavian)
Kafka, Franz. The Castle; Metamorphosis (German)
Koestler, Arthur. Darkness at Noon (Russian Revolution) (English)
Mann, Thomas. The Magic Mountain; Tonio Kroger; A Death in Venice (German)
Pasternak, Boris. Dr. Zhivago (Russian)
Sartre, Jean Paul. Nausea; The Wall (French)
Tolstoy, Leo. Anna Karenina*; War and Peace* (Russian)
Verne, Jules. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Vergil. The Aeneid (Latin)
Voltaire. Candide (French)
Wiesel, Elie. Night*; Dawn; A Beggar at Jerusalem

* works using Biblical themes, showing Christian influences/themes

About Dr. de Rosset: One of the wonderful things about undergrad at Moody Bible Institute (it wasn't all wonderful) was Dr. Rosalie de Rosset, arguably my favorite professor (except there's also Nancy Kane and Dr. Schmutzer and Dr. Sauer and.... dang it, I can't choose).

De Rosset is a legend, and a hero of mine. She is a brilliant teacher and a lover of literature, beauty, and meaning. Those things combined made her classes dynamic and actually life-changing for bibliophile. She just published a book for young women that I would love to read. She's a great speaker too, with fantastic sarcasm and ability to tell a good story.

And... she's a strong woman. Single all her life and yet classy, engaging, and successful. Her reasons for staying single, even when she was in love, are a thing of principal that I deeply respect. She effectively fought for women in leadership in a patriarchal evangelical world and managed to stick around Moody for generations against all odds! I mean really, in a school that for a while didn't agree with women preaching, de Rosset got away with teaching homiletics for women.

1 comment:

Jaimie said...

Hey, a list I don't completely flop in!

1. The Count of Monte Cristo
2. The Three Musketeers
3. The Doll's House
4. Metamorphosis
5. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea


Hahaha FIVE. But still. I kind of want to count The Iliad & The Odyssey because I've read excerpts...

I want to read Anna Karenina one day.