Monday, December 30, 2013

2013 Favorites

2013 was a good year. I thought we'd be overseas by now, but as per usual, I am thankful for how things have worked out. Looking back, I see a lot of change in this year. We raised over half our support this year. I finished my six year-long job and became a full-time stay at home mother. Isaac was hired as a college professor.

We visited England, Chicago, Ohio, and Colorado for support raising, and while in England got to throw in a day trip to Scotland (new country for me!).




With music, I discovered Macklemore and (on the Christian music side of things) Rend Collective Experiment and All The Sons and Daughters, as well as Spotify in general (amazing!). My favorite books of the year were Godric by Fredrick Buechner, The Forever War by Dexter Filkins, and Larry Crabb's writing. I also started listening to audiobooks while commuting.

I've done more watching than reading this year, with my favorites being "Call the Midwife" and "Parenthood", but "House of Cards" was my favorite show that Isaac would actually watch with me! I netflixed a ton of adaptations of classic novels (Anna Karenina, Wuthering Heights, Great Expectations, Great Gatsby, Dr. Zhivago, Atlas Shrugged).  Also, the documentary "The Last Train Home" was fantastic. The only movie I actually remember watching in the theater this year is "Catching Fire", and as a fan of the series, it was excellent. We've just started both "Justified" and "Homeland", and I'm excited about both shows but can't count them as 2013 shows, really!

Also in 2013 I got my first stitches:



We went to a Mumford and Sons concert, and it was.... AMAZING.


Our community group reorganized when our friend Steph left town, and later Isaac actually gave the message at Steph's wedding... which was beautiful.


Judah got ear tubes and started speech therapy and subsequently learned to talk. He's transitioned from a toddler to a little boy.







I grew out my pixie cut and got my first real smart phone with data... a truly life changing experience. Thus I have also been introduced to instagram....



Spiritually, this year was a year of renewal. I walked through some battles last year that this year sort of finished and faded, and I was left rejoicing and thankful for the faithfulness of God.

We had a major ice storm in Dallas that left us stuck outside of the city and then unable to get to our house without snow boots and a sled.




Best of all.....
I got pregnant for a second time, had a sort of brutal pregnancy, and had my beautiful Elly...





Bring on 2014!


No comments: