Saturday, July 26, 2014

On Last Moments With Family

I literally have 8 posts in drafts from our weeks of travel and settling in here in Indonesia. So, this is obviously dated now, but... I can't not post those beautiful photos!


This week is a gift. We have been in Colorado with my family and in less than two days we will fly out, on our way to England and finally Indonesia. It's the end, and the beginning.


My family has gathered, my sister flying in last minute from Minnesota, we met up with my brother and sister-in-law and niece in the mountains today. We got to be here for my little brother's graduation party and his baptism. We celebrated my sister's birthday and have met a couple of significant others for the lovely single sisters of the family. Today at church we were surrounded by supporters and my dad prayed for us with his voice cracking and breaking.













  I treasure it. My heart is filled to the brim with thankfulness for these times that we are soaking up, knowing we will be away for so much over the next four years. So yes, I treasure a trip to the mountains where we wander Georgetown and or hike in Estes Park, marveling at the beauty of Colorado and sunsets and these life milestones like my brother confessing his faith in baptism and a boy asking my dad if he can date my sister.


I also treasure the small things. We are packing this house to the brim but that means that they are there when I come out bleary eyed with two energetic children and no coffee in my system yet. It means they jump on the trampoline with Judah and he adores them, my dad snuggles Elly and my mom teaches her to push up on her knees and move towards crawling. We wash dishes and do a garage sale and sit in the back yard with the Colorado dusky sky blessing our dinner conversation.

It is beautiful.

I have said that leaving my family is the hardest thing about going overseas. I long to have my parents and siblings involved in my kid's lives and I want my kids to know and love their grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins.

Because of that, I'm thankful that it took so long to get us headed to Indonesia. I am so ready to get overseas already that I am more eager and willing to go through these goodbyes. One can't put off a life calling to "bury my father" as the gospels put it. So we go, and I go with excitement. I think there has been a shift from mourning the loss of of time with my family to simply soaking up what time we do have and being really intentional.


They are great, they really are. I am ever so thankful that God gave them to me.

No comments: