Monday, August 10, 2015

My Favorite Granola Recipe

I have some heavy posts I've been writing and sitting on, but since I'm not quite ready to post them, I thought I'd start a series posting my most frequently used recipes.

I like to cook but when I was working in the US I was more reliant on fast, easy recipes for our on the go life. Now I have pretty much only locally-grown items available and I have to make nearly everything from scratch. That's a blessing because it's healthy and I get a lot of practice. I swear I will be an excellent cook when it's all said and done! It's also a pain because everything takes a lot of work and dang, I miss a lot of specialty items like good cheddar and feta cheese and almond butter and good chocolate chips and frozen berries year-round.

I love breakfast and so do my kids. This granola recipe is my go-to recipe. I make it once a week because even Isaac (the non-breakfast eater) is eating it daily. Usually Elly and I have it with homemade yogurt. Judah is allergic to nuts and sesame so I make him plain oatmeal.

Kacie's Granola (adapted from More with Less Apple Cinnamon Crunch Granola)
Makes 2 quarts
350 degrees

Combine:
4 c. oats
½ c. coconut flakes (I have to buy a coconut at the market, have them grate it, and then roast ti when I get home)
1 c. finely chopped nuts (I use peanuts because that's all we can get here)
½ c. sesame seeds (could use sunflower seeds, if it was available)
½ t. salt
1 t. cinnamon

Combine separately and add:
½ c. honey
1/3 c. vegetable oil
½ t. vanilla

Mix thoroughly. Spread on 2 large greased baking pans and bake 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until lightly browned. My oven is unpredictable so I lower the temperature and keep an eye on it. If you were in a place where dried fruit was available, you could add some at the end and it would be excellent. 

No comments: