Monday, September 14, 2015

Homemade Yogurt from Milk Powder

When I started trying to make yogurt overseas to satisfy my son's insatiable love for the stuff, we had a number of failures. We were using hard-to-come-by fresh milk and recipes that included scalding the milk. When it struck me that I might be able to use powdered milk I wondered if I might be crazy and I could hardly find anything on the internet about it.

Since then I've received great feedback and have pieced together several peoples' advice (most of all my friend Sarah's recipe from her blog here) into a recipe I make every week. Every morning my kids eat yogurt and honey. There's very little dairy around here, and the yogurt is also really good for helping our stomach's handle the many new things we're exposed to here.

Bonus - this recipe is so easy I'll probably make it in the US as well. All you need is warm water, powdered milk, and active yogurt.


 
Homemade Yogurt

  • 8 cups warm water (warm but not so warm you can't hold your finger in the water without being scorched)
  • 4 1/2 cups powdered milk (full-cream only! I'm told in the US this is available in Walmart from a Hispanic brand?)
  • 1/2 cup active yogurt

Whisk powdered milk into the warm water.  Gently whisk in yogurt. Put into insulated container and incubate for 3-6 hours or until yogurt is set. I use my rice cooker for this. Don't even turn it on warm, it's just a nice big insulated container for the setting stage. Store yogurt in the fridge.

2 comments:

junglewife said...

Thanks for the shout out! I'm glad my recipe helped you :-) I have been buying my powdered milk from Amazon since we've been back. With subscribe and save, it's about the same price as Walmart and gets delivered right to my door! The best deal is the large can of Nido, it is 1600g which is 2 of the big Dancow boxes. Surprisingly it is not any cheaper here than it was in Wamena!
However, since the babies turned one I have been using regular whole milk since we get it for free with WIC. It is not nearly as easy since I have to heat the milk and cool it down, but you can't beat free!
Oh, and I don't know what kind of yogurt starter you are using. When we were overseas I brought the Yogourmet brand ones with me. I would try to keep it going by using some of the last batch to make the new batch but every couple months I would have to start fresh with a new starter because it would start getting super sour and sometimes bubbly. Since then I have found out that those Yogourmet ones really are meant to use a fresh starter every time and not keep it going! That's whey they kept going bad. So I bought an "heirloom" Bulgarian yogurt starter from Cultures for Health (I'm sure there are other places to get heirloom starters but that's the site I found and used!) The heirloom part means that it's actually meant to keep making yogurt from the previous batch and it can keep going indefinitely! Just something to think about if you have someone coming to visit that could bring it for you. I wouldn't put it in a package because of the heat factor.

Kacie said...

I actually just use the last part of each batch of yogurt to make the next batch. I always keep a starter portion in the freezer in case a batch doesn't turn out (it's happened twice). That's been working for me.

I think I use all of your recipes from your blog, Sarah! Thanks for that resource. :)